Only Mr. Darcy Will Do
by Kara Louise
short synopsis: After her father's death, Elizabeth Bennet goes to work as a governess. Little does she know, the Willstones are social acquaintances of the Bingley's and the Darcy's, and Elizabeth finds herself once again drawn into Mr. Darcy's orbit. With Elizabeth's social status even lower than it was before, she knows she must abandon all hope of Darcy renewing his proposals, even as she begins to see him in a completely different light....
2. Words to describe the book: charming, original, nerve-wracking, satisfying....
3. Location or characters you met:
- Elizabeth Bennett: I honestly can not get enough of Elizabeth Bennett. She's one character that I truly adore and have often wanted to just be her! I thought the situation that the author put Elizabeth in was pure genius and so very believable!!
- Mr. Darcy : once again I found myself falling in love with Darcy. Oh, if I could only get my husband to read one of these books and then to embrace me and turn my face to him and tell me "how ardently I love you!"
- The Willstones, their daughter Emily, and the overzealous Miss Matthews: even though they played minor roles within the story, they were crucial to how Elizabeth and Darcy meet up after over a years absence.
- I thought that this was one of the best ORIGINAL variations of Pride & Prejudice that I have read to-date! I really enjoyed the storyline and felt that the author stayed very true to the themes of Austen.
- Loved the ending....
- I think this would actually make a great movie...hello BBC are you listening?!
- It was absolutely satisfying from the beginning to the end. I want to delve into Kara Louise's other books!
Thank you to Beth of Sourcebooks for sending me a review copy. I
was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist. They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.
Review Style patterned after Show Me 5
Published: March, 2011Publisher: Sourcebooks Pages: 354Genre: Pride and Prejudice VariationISBN: 9781402241031*Uncorrected Advance Copy © 2011, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
Looks like my wish list is growing again...ReplyDelete
Wow 9.5!! It must be GREAT!!! Sounds really good!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)ReplyDelete
Wow, you are really getting to be expert on these! I know I can always come here for my variation fix! :--)ReplyDelete
I'm so glad you really enjoyed this one. Not all Austen spin-off are good and original, but it seems this one is. Thanks for the review!ReplyDelete
I'm looking forward to reading this one -- glad you enjoyed it!ReplyDelete
I've read Darcy's Voyage by Kara Louise and it was very good -- I can recommend it.
I am with you, BBC!! over here, hello! make some PP variations :DReplyDelete
Obviously, this is one I must read if it seemed so original. I like your line about the ending. Can there be anything other than a happy ending? I don't want to read an Austen-look-alike with a bad ending.ReplyDelete
LOL! I wonder if you'll ever get your husband to read a Darcy book?ReplyDelete
This does sound like it would be a great addition to the story not just a retelling. Obviously the author did a great job of bringing Elizabeth to life in her story, but are you sure you want hubby to change?ReplyDelete
This sounds like the perfect book for you!ReplyDelete
I'm such a Scrooge about Austen-related books but this one sounds like one I might make an exception for.ReplyDelete
Ok, I give up! I will finally add one of these P&P books to my wish list since you love this one so much.ReplyDelete
I'm not sure if you'd really want your husband to say that though ;)
Interesting. I love how authors are taking classics and reinventing them!ReplyDelete
Why am I not surprised to see another Darcy book on your blog! Does your hubby read your blog -hmmmm, maybe he should. lol.ReplyDelete
This was a breath of fresh air in terms of Austen variations. I loved it, too.ReplyDelete
I have been resisting all the Jane Austen spin-offs. Darcys just seem to outstrip all the other ones that are flooding out the market. This one actually sounds great! :)ReplyDelete
This is a review format that I haven't seen before, and I like it! Wow, how many Mr. Darcy books are there anyway? It seems like you must have read almost all of them! LOL!ReplyDelete
REally? I will take your word for it. The plot reimagining sounds fresh and if you loved it that much I am sold!ReplyDelete
If ever there's a book that would get me into P & P variations this would be it; just not sure I want to foster another addiction LOL Fantatic review Staci!ReplyDelete