Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

'Catriona' by Jeanette Baker


Yes, I think the cover is cheesy...get rid of the 2 people  in the front!

First thoughts after finishing: "Is there anywhere on the internet that I could order a sexy powerful Scottish border lord????"

I love books that blend the present day with the past and this author did an exceptional job of making that work. I felt that I was able to get to know all of the characters and make a connection with some. I am a sucker for historical fiction with a dash of romance thrown in and this one has both of those elements. I now feel the need to do a little bit of brushing up on James Stewart IV (King of Scotland) and Margaret Tudor (Daughter of King Henry of England). I love it when history becomes alive and captures my imagination!

Recommend? I would recommend this one to my friends that enjoy historical romance. Especially stories that place in Scotland. I'm really thrilled that Sourcebooks reprinted Jeanette Baker's book because I would probably have never found this author on my own. I will definitely be adding her other works to my list of book that are worth reading. Overall, a very pleasant way to spend a few days!!

Rating: 8/10

Author: Jeanette Baker
Published: August 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: Historical Fiction/Romance
Pages: 385
*Uncorrected Advance Copy

Disclaimer:Thank you to Sourcebooks Casablanca for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MYexperience while reading this novel.


© 2011, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.


13 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one Staci, but don't think I could get beyond the cover LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehe... I love your comment about ordering a Scottish border Lord! lol!! :):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it despite the cover (I agree with you, btw). I'll add the title to my list because it sounds good. Right now I'm in 13th century France (To Be Queen) so I'll wait a bit before picking up another historical fiction novel. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to hear that you enjoyed this as I have it patiently waiting for me to read it as well. The cover is cheesy but I'm glad to hear that the book is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean! Yesterday I got out my file with travel brochures to Scotland! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree the cover is cheesy and I probably would pass over it as a result. I don't mind historical fiction with some romance, so this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like when authors blend the past and the present, too, but I am so not crazy about the cover on this book...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Yes tell me if you find where you can order a guy like that :D i want one too

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made me want Scottish romance - book that is. Sounds like a lovely Saturday afternoon read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love a good historical romance. I'm reading one right now...and it also has a cheesy cover. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you about the cover .. :) My daughter loves historical romance (as long as it's not too steamy). I think I'll put this on her to-buy list! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you think we'll get a discount if we order in bulk lol
    I do enjoy historical romance, even more so if it's set in Scotland so I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. Thanks Staci.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!