Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Book Review: Gym Candy


Gym Candy in short was a book that tackled the feelings that you have as a football player and the feelings that you have as a teen. I know, I'm both. Mick Johnson is a young running back for his high school team, the Shilshole Raiders. He has desire and talent, but the varsity coach refuses to play freshmen. At first he works hard through every practice and every drill and spends time in the weight room. After gaining the starting position from the junior year player Matt Dragger, they face a team that's just as good as them. In the final seconds of the game, the fate of the team is put in Mick's hands. Five yards from the end zone, the ball is snapped and Mick's best friend and quarterback pitches him the ball. He falls short two inches from the endzone. Torn up from the loss to Foothill, the other team, Mick spends even more time in the weight room. His dad later introduces him to a real gym called Popeye's. This is where his life slowly falls off track. After introduction to the steroid Dyanabol from his personal trainer, Mick starts to feel stronger and more confident. But, along with those feelings come the feelings of anger and dangerous depression that commonly go with steroid use. I don't want to ruin the whole story so I'll just conclude with my feelings. This book, no matter how hard you try, will get to you. You will feel the lows that Mick feels and you will feel the highs. If not, you should check for a pulse =]. I would recommend this to any one who just wanted to read a straight up good book.

~written by Marc (that's him on the left)


I would like to thank my son for writing the above review of Gym Candy. He brought this home last week from the high school library and loved it. Somehow I was able to convince him to sit down and post his thoughts on this!! I'm sure that I will have to buy him one of those Brownie Melts at McDonald's!!

18 comments:

  1. *wait* is that a scrap page i see????? :) YAY!!!!!!!!! :) LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE it!!!! And your SON WROTE an AWESOME REVIEW!!!!!! I am thinking that I am gonna have to get this book for Brian, as he was a football star in high school (al bundy flashbacks, anyone?? lol!) Goooooooooooooo buy him a Brownie Melt!!!! And I want one too!! LOL!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How good of your son to write that review :D
    Nice to hear boys read too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review and I'm not writing it because it's written by your son.
    Really, I would never have thought for a second that it was written by a teenage boy had you not said so.
    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on having a son who writes so well. That was a well analyzed book review written in a concise manner that I envy. He has talent. Keep going and give us more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic review, Marc! You could start your own book blog, you know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a well written review! I hope Marc hijacks your blog again in the future. :)

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great review! I love it when my kids find books that are so good that they want to share them with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marc definitely deserves a brownie melt thing for that great review!! And here, I thought you were a teenager yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Marc for that great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! When I started reading and it and saw 'I am both I' I actually skipped back and made sure I read it right :) I used to love these sports books when I was younger and this one sounds great. Actually, my nephew would probably love it. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic review! I've been trying to get my son to do a review for me but he kept saying teenaged boys don't do that. Ha--there goes that excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! Thanks, Marc.
    Wish I could get my daughter to do one for me...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your son did a wonderful job writing that review! I'm impressed! Great Job - but wait...McDonald's has BROWNIE MELTS?! OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marc did an awesome job on his review! He has a talent for writing and must take after his mom.

    Love that scrapbook page as well!

    We don't have brownie melts around here at our Mcdonald's. It sounds dangerous! Marc definitely deserves one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool of your son to write that review! I enjoyed it. Although, I was a little confused in the beginning when I thought you were telling us you were a teen and a football player...LOL!

    If your son doesn't want that brownie melt, send it to me. Our McDonald's doesn't have them and it sounds DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marc, you're a natural! Your mom can retire now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your son is adorable! And he wrote the review too, what a good kid. Wish him luck in his game this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Howdy!

    Wow! What a thorough, honest and well written book review! We linked to your excellent post on our blog, Product Review Round-Up under the category Books. The link is embedded in this listing:

    **Blogger’s son reviews young adult book, “Gym Candy”**


    Thanks and keep up the good work!

    Happy Trails,
    Grace and Tiffany

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!