Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Booking Through Thursday


a weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading brought to you by Deb

But, enough about books … Other things have words, too, right? Like … songs!

If you’re anything like me, there are songs that you love because of their lyrics; writers you admire because their songs have depth, meaning, or just a sheer playfulness that has nothing to do with the tunes.

So, today’s question?

  • What songs … either specific songs, or songs in general by a specific group or writer … have words that you love?
Wow, this one is really hard to answer because I'm sure that I'll forget one that I really wanted to put down. But right away the one that comes to me is Operator and Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce. My parents listened to this album when I was growing up and I totally loved it. Hotel California by the Eagles is another favorite of mine. You're My Best Friend by Queen because 1) I love Freddy Mercury 2) I love Queen and 3) it reminds me of my hubby every time I hear it!
And then pretty much anything by Duran Duran. When I hear Rio that takes me back to my teen years in the 80's which I love to reminisce about every now and then. Finally U2, because Bono is brilliant and they have a sound unique to them. I'm not sure that I could pick a favorite of theirs...Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is a favorite though.
  • Why? answered that above

  • And … do the tunes that go with the fantastic lyrics live up to them? For me, yes!!

You don’t have to restrict yourself to modern songsters, either … anyone who wants to pick Gilbert & Sullivan, for example, is just fine with me. Lerner & Loewe? Steven Sondheim? Barenaked Ladies? Fountains of Wayne? The Beatles? Anyone at all…

13 comments:

  1. I like all of your picks. You're My Best Friend is a great song. I think if I had to choose only one album to listen to, it would have to be one of Queen's. Yes, I still have albums and a working turntable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers, Staci! I agree that it would be tough to pick a U2 song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time in a Bottle has been a favorite since the first time I heard it...and I can actually remember the first time I heard it (a looong time ago)so you know I love it! I love so many singers and so many songs - a couple of my very favorites...Bonnie Raitt and Leonard Cohen, their songs have gotten me through some difficult times for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices!!

    I love U2. If I had to pick a U2 song I love "One".

    I also like "Black" by Pearl Jam

    My wedding song "When You Love A Woman" by Journey.

    Hmmm what else???

    Billy Joel's "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant" because it is a fun song. I call it the Ballad of Brenda (Brender) and Eddie...hehehehe

    Josh Groban's "To Where You Are" and "You're Still You" are also great songs.

    Hope you are having a great night!! I'm sitting up for awhile because I'm going stir crazy Staci. Hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great List Staci! I loved listening to Operator and Time in a bottle when I was a teen and adult! Hotel California is another great one and I also love Queen. I need to listen to these oldies more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm never good at thinking of things when asked point blank. My mind just freezes up and won't allow access to the information I want. I can't even blame it on age because I've always been like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about Prince and Purple Rain, Purr-puuull Raaayyyn? Every time the kids and I happen to hear that on the oldies station we think of you.

    :D bwwwhahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Hotel California-that song reminds me so much of my fourteen, fifteen-year-old self. :D And Queen is always great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You listed some great ones there. I really like U2 as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Staci,

    I am visiting from the Weekly Geeks site.

    I love U2 too! I definitely don't think I could pick just one of their songs, but I do love "Angel of Harlem." I sang this recently at a karaoke bar and the...karaoke master (?) tried to tell me that this was a Rolling Stones song.

    I wrote about my experience during U2's final Vertigo Tour performance in Honolulu here:http://subliminalintervention.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-dismantle-ultimate-experience.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowwwwwwwwww....love love love your song choices Staci!!!!!! I think my all time FAVE song EVER....is "The Dance"...by Garth Brooks....played that at my Grandma's funeral...and still has special meaning to me! :):):):)

    PS...IN ONE WEEK'S time....I FINISHED all 4 BOOKS!!!! LAST night I finished #4!!!!! I soooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't want them to be over! :):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Booklogged: I have moments like that all the time. I also come up with great comebacks hours after I needed them!!

    Heather: I should've posted Prince, you're right. Purple Rain was the movie all my friends watched on my birthday. We rented one of those huge disc machines and thought it was so cool. However, I take offense at the "oldies" station reference. Are you saying I'm OLD????!!!!

    Eva: Thanks for stopping by and I especially love to sing Bohemian Rhapsody to my husband. He hates every 11 minutes of it!!!

    Wendy (Literaryfeline)- A good friend introduced me to U2 when I was in the 9th grade in 1984 and I've never stopped loving them or wanting to be Bono's love!!

    Dreamybee: Thanks so much for dropping in!! I appreciate the time you spent here and look forward to future Weekly Geeks to share!! I can't believe the Karaoke guy was that clueless!! How old was he 10? Thanks for the link I will definitely be checking that out. I have not seen U2 in concert yet but I hope to one day!!

    Julie: I love "The Dance" it is beautiful!!!!! I'm so proud of you for reading them in 1 week!! You're rocking the Twilight Saga!! Now to complete the whole Twilight madness you must buy a Twilight shirt and post your pic on your blog!!! Oh, yeah you have to pick which team you're on too!! Then you'll be an office Twilight Geek!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Owh ya.. Your list rings a bell to me. I forgot about the Queen. And Duran Duran too has been forgotten over time. I remembered some U2 songs, and as you said, with a sound unique to them (agreed).. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!