Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

DNF's of 2013




I've been having a blast reading books from my Kindle in April. I realize not every one can be a winner and for me the following two books just didn't do a thing for me.



Cover of Snow:
I thought the writing was all over the place. I felt absolutely no connection to Nora. There wasn't enough of an IMPACT about her husband's suicide and the author didn't develop Nora's desire to find out what really happened to him.  I put the book down before 50 pages, so of course there is that slight possibility that I did miss out on a page-turner. I'm okay with being a quitter.

Source: NetGalley/Ballentine
Author: Jenny Milchman






It's A Wonderful Life:
This one just simply did not work for me. It dragged for what seemed like forever and I couldn't take another moment of reading. I gave up pretty early on this one too, but hey, I'm old and have a lot of books I want to read before I die. This is not one of them.

Source: NetGalley/Lemniscaat USA
Author: Jesse Goossens





© 2013, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

18 comments:

  1. We can't love every book but DNFs are such a bummer :( Onward and upward! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right - at our age, there's no time for reading that's not enjoyable. You may, in fact, just have given me permission to give up on the one I'm reading now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, life's to short and our reading time more precious to waste in on books we don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gonna happen! I have Cover of Snow, wonder how I will react to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, as you know, I stuck it out with Cover of Snow, but for me it never got any better! ...to the contrary, in fact! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad these didn't work for you but time is short.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to not finish a book but I hate reading a book that I do not like, more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that sometimes we must just give up....too many books, too little time. I haven't tried either of these....but I can relate to how a book doesn't engage us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been interested in hearing your thoughts on Cover of Snow...especially since I have a copy on my Kindle. It sure sounds like I don't need to rush to it! By the way- I only managed to finish two books for our NetGalley challenge last month but that's two more than I would have finished so thanks for doing it with me! I'm going to need another one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! "I'm okay with being a quitter." LOL! I liked that.

    Interesting thoughts on The Cover of Snow. I had the opposite experience. The quietness and eeriness of the beginning drew me in. I was intrigued as to where it was going and when the book would ramp up. Unfortunately, there were missed opportunities to make the book exceptional (IMO), but I still thought it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I probably wouldn't have finished them either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, so many books, so little time should be a book bloggers mantra!!lol I just started two audio books that did not grab me the first few tracks and I ditched them. I can't spend time on something that I don't connect with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. bahaha love the way you worded it. Yep life's too short for books that just don't cut it! Kudos for quitting, I need some chutzpah to quit on a 'meh' book I've been reading for 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to start giving up on books. You're right- there are too many out there that I'll love :) I think I have Cover of Snow :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've come across a few of those in the kindle freebies.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!