Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tuesday Intros: Mr. Churchill's Secretary


 posts the opening paragraph (maybe two) of a book
 she decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s).
 Feel free to grab the banner and play along!

My pick this week is Mr. Churchill's Secretary. I'm participating in the TLC Book Tour of the second book in Maggie Hope series, Princess Elizabeth's Spy, and TLC and the publisher were kind enough to send the first book. I hate reading out-of-order so it was very nice of them to send me two books!! I'm in love with the cover art and can't wait to get to this story!



  Prologue
    Half an hour before Diana Snyder died, she tidied up her desk in the typists' office of the Cabinet War Rooms.
   She looked up at the heavy black hands of the clock on the wall and sighed. There were no windows in the War Rooms, the underground lair used by the Prime Minister's staff, reinforced by concrete slabs and considered to be bombproof. The ceilings were low; signs warned Mind Your Head. The once-white walls had faded to dull yellow, and the floors were covered in worn brown linoleum. Overhead were lines of drainage pipes from the Treasury. While the air was filtered by a special ventilation system, there were still lingering odors of floor wax, chemical toilets, and cigarette smoke.
Would you continue reading this one
 based on the opening paragraph?

11 comments:

  1. Yes, I would definitely keep reading. And I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, how did i miss this one? i want to know more, so i'd keep reading. Great pick this week. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would SO keep reading!!!! I love the cover art too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an opening sentence! Can't wait to read what you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I do like the sound of this one (and the cover!)... how nice of them to send you the first book, too. I hate reading a series out of order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would. That sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been on my radar ever since it first came out. I'm planning to read it... eventually! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I would keep reading for sure. This book is already on my list and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard good things about this one and that cover is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading this one right now too, getting ready for the sequel for the tour. See you there then! That opening paragraph is quite a teaser!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!