Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

'The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus' by Sonya Sones (TLC Book Tour Stop)

IS IT A BAD SIGN?


Is it 
a bad sign

if when you hear
the next-door neighbor's daughter
singing "Now I Know My ABC's"

it reduces you 
to tears?

[p.219]



About the book (TLC Website):
Celebrated YA novelist Sonya Sones makes a HUGE splash with her first adult novel, The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus, spinning a funny, fierce, and piercingly honest coming-of-middle-age story about falling apart and putting yourself back together. Written in Sones’s unique creation of seamless narrative written in free verse. The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus is a luminous, brilliantly told story of life, marriage, and parenthood that you will not soon forget.

My Thoughts:

This book is filled with emotions, emotions, emotions!

So many I've experienced
Some still to come.

I found myself laughing,
crying, and after reading certain pages,
coming undone.

Sones has taken her life
and laid it bare for all to see
but honestly I feel that
She's talking about ME!

Our lives play out in stages
that fly by way too fast.
After reading this book
I wish some stages would stay a bit longer,
while others I'm glad are past.

This book was a joy and I'm
glad that I experienced it
because I felt like I was listening to a friend.
When I turned the last page I was sad
because the story had come to an end.

Recommend? Absolutely...especially for those 40+!  So many things that Sonya Sones writes about will hit home with you. Being a child, teen, falling in love for the first time, having children, empty nest, losing the spark within your marriage, divorce, finding love again, infidelity, aging parents, sagging body parts (very true!) and just about getting older.....read this book and I guarantee that you will find yourself laughing one minute, sighing the next, and maybe shedding a few tears!

Rating: 10/10
P.S. I've read all of Sones work and loved each one..she delivers!

Published: 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 421
Genre: A Woman's life told in verse
ISBN: 9780061458590
 

About Sonya Sones

Sonya Sones is the author of four acclaimed novels for teens—Stop Pretending: What Happened When My Big Sister Went Crazy; What My Mother Doesn’t Know; One of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies; and What My Girlfriend Doesn’t Know. She lives in California with her family.
Visit Sonya at her website, and friend her on Facebook.
 
Disclaimer:Thank you to TLC Book Tours for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel

© 2011, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

20 comments:

  1. WOW! 10/10!!! I need to read this! :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very humorous story, lightheartedly dealing with so many aspects of middle age. I am wondering about the title though and how it fits with the story. Looking at the author's other titles all of which look are also funny, I get a sense that Sonya is a real hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...I would not have given this book a second look, had it not been for your enthusiasm; thanks Staci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't it good? I really liked it too. I gave it to my BFF to read on vacation and she texted me (from the beach) when she finished to thank me and say she loved it.
    It's the first book I've read by Sones and I hope she writes more books for 'women of a certain age' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative review! And the book sounds great - I never would have known that was what it was about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book for me! Thanks for the giveaway.
    mtakala12 AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit that the title of this book made me think it would be silly and shallow - you've convinced me otherwise. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this one sounds like a must-read, and I'm not even familiar with this author. But it sounds like the adult market is the perfect niche for her.

    This one is going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved how you did this review! I saw this book reviewed somewhere else too and had already thought it sounded like something I'd like. I do even more now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Staci, that was one VERY clever and very funny review. I love, love , LOVE that you wrote it in verse!

    Emotions, emotions, emotions -
    oceans of emotions!

    That's why we read, isn't it? So we can feel the feelings of the characters we're reading about...
    we want to be MOVED...whether it's to laughter or to tears or both...

    And hey, Julie, Jan, Diane, Mary, Rhapsody, Margie, Bermuda, Laurel-Rain and Darlene, I am so delighted to know that Staci's poem has piqued your interst in my book, because just as Jan suspects, I am a real hoot! :)

    Seriously though, I would be honored if you read my book! And if you like it as much as Staci did, and then you tell your friends, and then they tell their friends, then maybe you will turn me into the next Stephanie Meyers.
    In which case, I will personally buy each and every one of you a Ferrari!

    xx,
    Sonya
    www.sonyasones.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Staci - this is a brilliant review. I love that you wrote it in verse. It worked beautifully. Very creative and absolutely brilliant. I know I already said that once but it's true. You should win some kind of prize for this. Can you tell I REALLY like the way you did this?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm adding this to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does sound good and different, but..would I like it? All in verse? I have doubts

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a really good book. It's obvious how much it touched you. Thanks for bringing this author to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was really hoping that someone would review this in verse - thanks for being the one to do it, and for doing such a great job of it too!!!

    10 out of 10 is a great recommendation if I ever heard one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds great. I will keep an eye out I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved your creativity in this post, Staci! I have never heard of this book, let alone the author, so I'll be doing some checking out asap! :) Speaking of the author - she said exactly what I was expressing in response to a comment of yours on my blog. I need to be MOVED (happy or sad) for a book to receive a 5/5. I'm so happy this one did that for you. I'm looking forward to my exploration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. An awesome, awesome review Staci. I would never have picked this one up based on the title but I'm heading straight to Book Depository to see if I can buy it ... yep and I'm blaming you and your brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very creative review. Emotions. Hmm! Not generally one who reads books with lots of emotion, especially those that make me cry. However, your review has piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just when I told myself no more additions to my reading list you go and write this awesome review, Staci :( Fine, I'll add it but I'm not happy about it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!