Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Library Loot- Goodbye March!

Hosted by Eva at A Striped Armchair and Marg at Reading Adventures.
We share what we each picked up at the library during the week.

I'm just a tad embarrassed to list all of the books that I picked up this past week so I'm going to spare you half of it and save it for next time!!!

At the Kings Command- Susan Wiggs
Not sure if I ever heard of this book from any blogger, but I do know that I've read about this author. This is the first in a trilogy and after reading the back, I thought this could be a good read.
Frustrated by his own failures at matrimony, King Henry VIII punishes an insolent nobleman by commanding him to marry the vagabond woman caught stealing his horse. Stephen de Lacey is a cold and bitter widower, long accustomed to the sovereign's capricious and malicious whims. He regards his new bride as utterly inconvenient…though undeniably fetching.But Juliana Romanov is no ordinary thief—she is a Russian princess forced into hiding by the traitorous cabal who slaughtered her family. One day she hopes to return to Muscovy to seek vengeance.

Every Secret Thing - Ann Tatlock
Somehow I came across an ad, which I think was on Goodreads about Tatlock's newest book, 
The Returning. I checked and my library had that one, so the plan was to get that one. Plans changed once I got to the library and I thought that I would like to start with one of her earlier books and that's how this one came home with me.
When Elizabeth Gunnar accepts a teaching position at the preparatory school she attended as a girl, she is returning to more than a place--to memories, mysteries, and an old love. Once there she meets unexpected challenges--and challenging new people. She revisits ghosts of the past and old self-doubts. And through it all, God somehow takes four broken people and forms a new, complete family

Quaker Summer - Lisa Samson
Sometimes I just get in the mood for books based on faith. This one won the 2007 Women of Faith Novel of the Year. I loved the premise so I brought it home.
Heather Curridge is coming unhinged. And people are starting to notice. What's wrong with a woman who has everything--a mansion on a lake, a loving son, a heart-surgeon husband, and soapstone countertops--yet still feels miserable inside? Yet when Heather spends the summer with two ancient Quaker sisters and a crusty nun in a downtown homeless shelter, she suddenly finds herself at a crossroads. Sometimes you have to go a little bit crazy to find the life you were meant to live.

House Rules - Jodi Picoult
Because I've read every single one of her books there was really no way that I wouldn't be bringing this one home!! Diane (Bibliophile by the Sea) gave this one 5 stars so I'm hoping that I will love it just as much. I was very disappointed in her last book so I will have to put that experience behind me and really read this one with an open mind!
HOUSE RULES looks at what it means to be different in our society, how autism affects a family, and how our legal system works well for people who communicate a certain way – but lousy for those who don’t.

If the Church were Christian - Phillip Gulley
Finally, I get to blame someone for a book!! This one is all Margot's (Joyfully Retired) fault...loved her wonderful review and pair that with the fact that I love Gulley's writing, I'm sure that this one will be a great read!
In If the Church Were Christian, Quaker pastor and author Philip Gulley explores how the church has lost its way. This eye-opening examination of the values of Jesus reveals the extent to which the church has drifted from the teachings of the man who inspired its creation. Many Christians might be surprised to discover how little Jesus had to say about the church, and that he might never have intended to start a new religion.

Books Read in 2010 to date: 57
Number of Books Checked out from the library:24

19 comments:

  1. I read 2 Wigg books back in January..but not that one so no blame on me ;)
    I got 3 books, even though I only went for E.Kostova

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great books here! Every Secret Thing sounds intriguing! If the Church were Christian has been on my list since Jenners recommended it so highly, but unfortunately my library has yet to order that one.

    I hope you like House Rules as much as I did.

    Happy reading....

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes, I hope your are not disappointed after my 5/5 of House Rules. I loved the audio book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look good. I've read fantastic reviews for House Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehehehe....i love that u say u are gonna share your picks next week...lol...u are too funny!!! :) U know...I keep forgetting to ask U....have U read, "The Shack?"...my new all time fave book..and was just curious :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know Susan Wiggs wrote any historical fiction. I like her Lakeshore series. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice loot! I'd like to read House Rules, so I can't wait to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know there were awards for women of faith books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a really great library. House Rules sounds like a great book. I've yet to read anything by Jodi... D: I should really get on that because I've heard amazing things about her work.

    Enjoy Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to read House Rules. Enjoy your new loot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no loot today. I'm finishing off the rest of my books so I'll have to get a bunch from the library next week.
    Diane's review made House Rules tempting. I'd sworn off Jodi Picoult though. Maybe you'll change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quaker Summer appeals to me. After If The Church I'm interested in all things Quaker as well as Gulley's other books. I've read Susan Wiggs contemporary books but not her historical fiction. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have House Rules waiting to be picked up at the library! I can't wait to read it, the topic appeals to me as autism affects many family and friends children. I'm looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Jodi Picoult!!! She's sucha great author!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great loot! I keep looking at Every Secret Thing and will look forward to your thoughts. I enjoyed Quaker Summer. Definitely will be checking out the Susan Wigg's book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I need to read If the Church Were Christian -- it sounds like something I'd connect with. You have several Quaker books here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been curious about the book by Phillip Gulley. The other books you got look good too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stop it, stop it! I was going to shop from my bookshelves until you tempted me so....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh I really like Ann Tatlock. I read a book by her called A Place Called Morning and just loved it. Great books here Staci!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!