EDITED: for some reason I'm getting all kinds of error messages...so the ones in ITALICS and are highlighted GREEN I have NOT read!!
A group of YA librarians on Facebook put together a list of 100 "top" teen novels.
Feel free to copy and repost this in your own blog.
The following list of books teens love, books teens should read, and
books adults who serve teens should know about was compiled IN
ABSOLUTELY NO SCIENTIFIC MANNER and should be taken with a very large
grain of salt.
Put an "X" next to the books you've read
Put a "+" next to the books you LOVE
Put a "#" next to the books you plan on reading
Tally your "X"s at the bottom
Share with your friends!
I altered the instructions a bit for my own use. I'm bolding the ones I've read and putting an X next to the ones I love.
1. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy / Douglas Adams- I have no intention to read this unless someone out there tells me that I'm truly missing something!!
2. Kit's Wilderness / David Almond
3. Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian / Sherman Alexie -This is in my pile TBR
4. Speak / Laurie Halse Anderson XXXXXXXX One of the best books ever written
5. Feed / M.T. Anderson- I want to read this
6. Flowers in the Attic / V.C. Andrews-read a long time ago and it was pretty risky!!
7. 13 Reasons Why / Jay Asher X
8. Am I Blue? / Marion Dane Bauer (editor)
9. Audrey Wait! / Robin Benway
10. Weetzie Bat / Francesca Lia Block- a requested library book for the next month
11. Tangerine / Edward Bloor
12. Forever / Judy Blume - read this when I was in the 6th grade, the librarian grilled me and called my mom to make sure that I had permission to read it!!
13. What I Saw and How I Lied / Judy Blundell - on my TBR list
14. Tyrell / Coe Booth
15. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants / Ann Brashares X
16. A Great and Terrible Beauty / Libba Bray
17. The Princess Diaries / Meg Cabot- not sure why but these do not interest me?
18. The Stranger / Albert Camus
19. Ender's Game / Orson Scott Card XXXX- first book I read that was Sci-Fi and I loved it
20. Postcards from No Man's Land / Aidan Chambers
21. Perks of Being a Wallflower / Stephen Chbosky
22. And Then There Were None / Agatha Christie
23. Gingerbread / Rachel Cohn
24. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist / Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
25. Artemis Fowl (series) / Eoin Colfer
26. The Hunger Games / Suzanne Collins- sitting beside my bed!!
27. The Midwife's Apprentice / Karen Cushman XX
28. The Truth About Forever / Sarah Dessen- I love Sarah Dessen
29. Little Brother / Cory Doctorow
30. A Northern Light / Jennifer Donnelly
31. Tears of a Tiger / Sharon Draper
32. The House of the Scorpion / Nancy Farmer- on my list TBR
33. Breathing Underwater / Alex Flinn XX- I really like this author
34. Stardust / Neil Gaiman
35. Annie on My Mind / Nancy Garden
36. What Happened to Cass McBride / Gail Giles
37. Fat Kid Rules the World / K.L. Going- want to read this!
38. Lord of the Flies / William Golding
39. Looking for Alaska / John Green XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Yes, I loved this book!!
40. Bronx Masquerade / Nikki Grimes
41. Out of the Dust / Karen Hesse
42. Hoot / Carl Hiaasen-such a good book, heard the movie was stinky!!
43. The Outsiders / S.E. Hinton X
44. Crank / Ellen Hopkins XXXX- I love Ellen and all of her books!!
45 The First Part Last / Angela Johnson X
46. Blood and Chocolate / Annette Curtis Klause
47. Arrow's Flight / Mercedes Lackey
48. Hattie Big Sky / Kirby Larson - on my TBR list
49. To Kill a Mockingbird / Harper Lee XXX
50. Boy Meets Boy / David Levithan
51. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks / E. Lockhart- must read for 2009
52. The Giver / Lois Lowry X she rocks!!!!
53. Number the Stars / Lois Lowry X
54. Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie / David Lubar
55. Inexcusable / Chris Lynch
56. The Earth, My Butt and Other Big, Round Things / Carolyn Mackler- want to read this!
57. Dragonsong / Anne McCaffrey- this book started my love affair with fantasy!
58. White Darkness / Geraldine McCaughrean
59. Sold / Patricia McCormick X- must read book for everyone!!
60. Jellicoe Road / Melina Marchetta- on my TBR pile
61. Wicked Lovely / Melissa Marr
62. Twilight / Stephenie Meyer X
63. Dairy Queen / Catherine Murdock- very cute story!
64. Fallen Angels / Walter Dean Myers
65. Monster / Walter Dean MyersXX- boys that tell me they hate to read...I send them to this book!! Works every time!
66. Step From Heaven / An Na X
67. Mama Day / Gloria Naylor
68. The Keys to the Kingdom (series) / Garth Nix- a student told me today that I needed to read this series!!
69. Sabriel / Garth Nix X
70. Airborn / Kenneth Oppel
71. Eragon / Christopher Paolini
72. Hatchet / Gary Paulsen X- I love Gary Paulsen and so do my students!
73. Life As We Knew It / Susan Beth Pfeffer XXXXX- excellent book but it gave me nightmares!!!
74. The Golden Compass / Phillip Pullman
75. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging / Louise Rennison- delightful series and I got to learn some cool brit slang!!
76. The Lightning Thief / Rick Riordan X
77. Always Running: La Vida Loca / Luis Rodriguez
78. how i live now / Meg Rosoff- in my TBR pile
79. Harry Potter (series) / J.K. Rowling X
80. Holes / Louis Sachar X
81. Catcher in the Rye / J. D. Salinger
82. Push / Sapphire
83. Persepolis / Marjane Satrapi XXXXX- excellent graphic novel!
84. Unwind / Neil Shusterman
85. Coldest Winter Ever / Sister Souljah
86. Stargirl / Jerry Spinelli XXXXXXXX- fantastic!!
87. Chanda's Secrets / Allan Stratton
88. Tale of One Bad Rat / Brian Talbot
89. Rats Saw God / Rob Thomas
90. Lord of the Rings / J.R.R. Tolkien- this series is a must read for this year.
91. Stuck in Neutral / Terry Trueman XX- very thought provoking
92. Gossip Girl / Cecily Von Ziegesar
93. Uglies / Scott Westerfeld- I have to read this series!!
94. Every Time a Rainbow Dies / Rita Williams-Garcia
95. Pedro and Me / Judd Winick
96. Hard Love / Ellen Wittlinger
97. American Born Chinese / Gene Luen Yang- on my TBR list
98. Elsewhere / Gabrielle Zevin
99. I am the Messenger / Markus Zusak X
100. The Book Thief / Markus Zusak XXXX- if you haven't read this you need to!
I have read 53 (that is if I counted correctly) of these...not too shabby but there's always room for improvement.
How many have you read?