Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Guest Review: 'The Emerald Atlas' by John Stephens



Synopsis:
John Stephens' aptly-titled new fantasy trilogy begins auspiciously with a nimble, fast-paced tale of three siblings. Kate, Michael, and Emma have suffered through ten years of odious orphanage "care"; now they have slipped into the care of the eccentric, disturbingly mysterious Dr. Pym. While exploring their new home, the children discover a magical green book. With that discovery, a decade of tedium dissolves into cascades of dangerous time travel adventures and struggles with a beautiful witch and decidedly less attractive zombielike Screechers.

The Emerald Atlas was a thrilling book! Imagine riding a roller coaster that goes through time. I'm inpsired by Kate, Emma, and Michael's hard will to find their parents and to not forget them. In the slow moments the author could have written more detail. He seemed to have been bored. For example, when the children had been examining the house...slow and boring. But when the action hit I could feel myself there in the book running from wolves and freeing the prisoners. This book I will remember for a while. I hope I can get to the next book of Kate, Michael and Emma very soon.

Would I recommend this book? yes, I would recommend this book for those who seek action and excitement.  But to those who like slow books and blah, blah, no I wouldn't. Clearly I'm a person of action and adventure and if you are too, then you'll agree with me that The Emerald Atlas is an amazing book that will be hard to put down.

Rating: 7.5/10

Read and reviewed by Ryan B. Ryan wrote this review at the end of this seventh grade school year. He has since grown about 4 more inches and is currently terrorizing me on a daily basis when he comes into the library eager to find the next great book to read! Look for two more reviews from Ryan.....coming in November and December!

Author: John Stephens
Published: April 5, 2011
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
Genre: Middle School Fantasy

* Uncorrected ARC courtesy of Shelf Awareness



Ryan was not compensated for his review. His thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are his personal reflections based solely on HIS experience while reading this novel.
© 2011, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

21 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    I want to thank you for doing a great review of this book. I love your enthusiasm for reading!

    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds AWESOME!!! Thanks Ryan for the awesome review! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your first time review! Sounds like a fun read, especially with the action parts. Makes up for the slow ones. I look forward to more reviews form you in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I love that bit: "Clearly I'm a person of action and adventure" Can't wait for more Ryan Reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Ryan! And Staci! I love a book review written by a student!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great, detailed review!

    My nine year old son read this one and really enjoyed it. We are waiting for book two...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Ryan! I will have to mention this book to my daughter because she loves stories with lots of action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound good and right up my alley. Thank you, Ryan, for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a great review. I'm going to pass Ryan's recommendation on to my seventh-grade granddaughter. She also loves books with lots of action. I look forward to more suggestions from Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful review, Ryan! I look forward to more of your reviews. I'm sure you make Staci's day a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this waiting for me to read and while I love action too, I usually just skim the boring especially in fantasy when descriptions often bog me down ad nauseum. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice. I love seeing kids excited about reading! They are lucky to have you steer them in the right direction, Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review Ryan :) It is so fun to see boys read since so many don't

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have NEVER read a review by a young person and that's such a great idea. It's one thing to hear what an adult thinks but one written by a "reader" is great and so well done.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the awesome review Ryan! I have this on my bookshelf and will be pick it up when I am looking for an adventurous read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review Ryan. I saw this one on Amazon and it sounds great. I hope you keep terrorizing Staci - it's good for her. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review and I have this book in my TBR pile. Will have to move it up and read it sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all your positive comments and ill make sure I write more reviews for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved your review, Ryan! You seem to have a great sense for writing reviews that people will want to read and make them want to check out the book too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review by Ryan! You are a good kid, and I am very impressed by your review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!