Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

'Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English' by Natasha Solomons (Reagan Arthur Book)


Title: Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English
Author: Natasha Solomons
Publication Date: June 21, 2010 by Reagan Arthur Books
Pages: 256 of the most beautiful pages I've read this year
Genre:  Historical Fiction/Fiction
Source: Shelf Awareness and
Synopsis from Reagan Arthur Books:
At the outset of World War II, Jack Rosenblum, his wife Sadie, and their baby daughter escape Berlin, bound for London. They are greeted with a pamphlet instructing immigrants how to act like “the English.” Jack acquires Saville Row suits and a Jaguar. He buys his marmalade from Fortnum & Mason and learns to list the entire British monarchy back to 913 A.D. He never speaks German, apart from the occasional curse. But the one key item that would make him feel fully British—membership in a golf club—remains elusive. In post-war England, no golf club will admit a Rosenblum. Jack hatches a wild idea: he’ll build his own.


My Thoughts:   Oh, Dear Reader, I can only hope my words will convey the passion I have for this book. Jack and Sadie's story captivated my imagination and I dare say, they have ensnared me within the words of their life, of which I don't want to be free!! Their journey together made me laugh, smile, experience overwhelming sadness and grief, yet it was an exhilarating ride. Jack desperately feels the need to belong as an Englishman in England. He's ashamed of being German, and also ashamed of being a Jew. His new religion is the pamphlet he received on arrival to England entitled, "Rules of Being English." He incorporates each rule into his everyday existence. I felt that he was trying to lose his "true" self in order to be accepted. While, Sadie, on the other hand, was never willing to give up her heritage nor her memories. Living in London has driven Jack and Sadie apart. They no longer can remember their early days spent crazily in love. It isn't until moving to the Dorset countryside and Jack's impossible scheme of creating his own golf course that breaks down their barriers and allows each of them to look, REALLY, look at each other. In Dorset, they learn to love again.

I absolutely loved this book. At first, I questioned myself as to whether I would enjoy this or not, because let's face it...does creating a golf course sound like a riveting read??? Well, trust me...it is! This book is beautiful beyond belief. I finished it over a week ago and I'm still carrying Jack and Sadie in my heart.

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
5/5

25 comments:

  1. This is one that I would never pick up on my own for several reasons: the title is bland and the cover is blander. If I read a synopsis saying it is about building a golf course, I would run in the opposite direction BUT after reading your stellar review, I may just have to put it on "the list" as I trust your judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like one to look out for. Actually, I think I may have this somewhere. Gotta go hunting through my stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, no I cant say that creating a gold course sounds like soemthing for me either, but after thsi review I would give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm putting this on my wishlist right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. .. so you liked this? ;-)

    Seriously, it sounds wonderful - a book I know I would love, too. Have just visited the library website and added my name to the hold list. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like just my cup of tea! Added to The List!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would say you perfectly captured the passion for the book! I am now very interested in reading it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're the second person I've seen who raves about this one! I sure hope I can get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WoW Staci, without such a raving recommendation, I was planning to pass on this one. Awesome!!! on my list it goes. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, fantastic review, Staci! It just went on my list - which is good since I'm doing the Reagan Arthur challenge

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to read this one! Your enthuiasim has me wanting to go out and get it right now. My grandmother was ashamed of her heritage and knowing that will bring emotion to my reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great! I want to read it also!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - you REALLY loved this one. I trust you and have just clicked over to my library's website and put my name on the list - only 3 ahead of me.

    I can relate to your experience. I love it when a book just captures all of me and the people stay in my head for days/weeks. Can't wait to get my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wow!!!!! this does sound good!!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  15. you're review definitely caught my attention! adding it to my wishlist right now. it's rare to see someone talk about a book like that so i'm going to have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE your review. So honest, so you. This story does intrigue and the plot is defintely something different than the usual fare. Thanks for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete
  17. With such a recommendation, how can I turn this one down? Seriously, I have had it on my radar wondering if it might suit me, but now I suspect it will. Thanks for sharing, Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow--high praise! I think I need to pick this up to take on vacation with me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok.... now I AM hooked. I'm off to go find it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Pages: 256 of the most beautiful pages I've read this year"

    You had me convinced right there, before even reading your review! Of course, your review just confirmed that I need to add this to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that's some recommendation! I will definitely check it out. It has a really great cover as well- well I like it anyway.

    Love the pic of Bruce on kitten patrol!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is not the kind of book that would call my name but after your review I will definitely keep it in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had already planned to read this book next because the author sent me a cute package with Lavender Earl Grey Tea, (I consume tea by the teapots) and shortbread. Now, I am also have English heritage and my grandmother taught me about tea. Finally, your review and recommendation has pushed me to grab it as soon as I finish the book I'm in now. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just received this book in the mail, and I have no idea why, but now I'm looking forward to reading it...when I get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've convinced me that I really must read this book!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!