Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

A Heart Like Mine- Six Sentence Bookish Thoughts #92



What A Heart Like Mine is about:
Her father’s new girlfriend is nice enough, but Ava still holds out hope that her parents will get back together and that they’ll be a family again. But only days after Victor and Grace get engaged, Kelli dies suddenly under mysterious circumstances—and soon, Grace and Ava discover that there was much more to Kelli’s life than either ever knew. Narrated by Grace and Ava in the present with flashbacks into Kelli’s troubled past, Heart Like Mine is a poignant, hopeful portrait of womanhood, love, and the challenges and joys of family life.

After reading A Heart Like Mine, I can now understand why so many of my book friends really like this author's writing. I found myself instantly drawn into the whole drama of a blended family, secrets, and the heartache of losing a parent. I loved the story being told from the three females POV and also the shifting of time between each of their stories to fill in the gaps to create a complete picture. My only quibble was with the ending, which felt a bit rushed and tied too neatly in a perfect bow.

Recommend? If you are drawn to stories about families, secrets, and second chances then I think you would enjoy this book. Amy has a great style and I easily read this book within a few days. I will be reading her other titles!

Source: NetGalley and Washington Square Press



Six Sentence Bookish Thoughts #92
© 2013, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

15 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot about this one. It really has me intrigued! (Sort of The Dark Side of The Parent Trap? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Amy has a gift for drawing you in. I just know you're going to love Best Kept Secret and Outside the Lines ... no perfect bows lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TOTALLY agree about the ending!! As I was reading it ... I couldn't pinpoint it ... but you hit the nail on the head!! Of course I also read her 'sneak' for her next book... and now I can't wait for that one! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one on my Sparky...and can't wait to begin. I have enjoyed all of this author's books. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE stories with secrets. This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the rest of the book is really good, I can forgive the too-neat ending. I'm not of fan of those kinds of endings, but it still sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be reading this soon so I'm glad to see you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a lot is going on in the story. nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this one too. So glad you liked it because now I'm really motivated to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had this book on my radar and now for sure that it is a must read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like one that might make a great book club choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Families, secrets, and second chances sound good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked her other two books a lot. I'll definitely be picking this up at some point! Glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read this author, but it sounds like she is worth giving a try. Who can resist a book about family secrets?

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!