Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Joy for Beginners (audio)- Six Sentence Bookish Thoughts #82

Cover image courtesy of Goodreads

What Joy for Beginners is about:
At an intimate, festive dinner party in Seattle, six women gather to celebrate their friend Kate's recovery from cancer. Wineglass in hand, Kate strikes a bargain with them. To celebrate her new lease on life, she'll do the one thing that's always terrified her: white-water rafting. But if she goes, all of them will also do something they always swore they'd never do-and Kate is going to choose their adventures.

Bauermeister has been gifted with the talent of being an amazing writer. Once again she has pulled me into the lives of these characters and made me care what happened to them. I loved being able to get a glimpse into each woman's life and personality. Erica is able to make the reader use all of their senses when reading, or in my case listening to one of her stories. I found myself identifying with Marion on so many levels, so many in fact that it was a bit eerie!!

Recommend? Absolutely, especially if you're already a fan of Erica's work, then you would really appreciate this one. The narrator did a fantastic job on this audio and made it very, very enjoyable to listen to!!

Narrator: Cassandra Campbell
Length: 7 hours 55 minutes
Source: Purchased from audible.com

Book Friends who influenced me to read (listen) to this one:
Margot@Joyfully Retired
Jill@Rhapsody in Books
Diane@Bibliophile By the Sea (audio)
Les@Prairie Horizons
Linda@Silly Little Mischief



Six Sentence Bookish Thoughts #82
© 2013, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

24 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is going right on my audio wish list. Thanks, Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also listened to this one, and just loved it. The audio reader is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this a lot but not as much as her previous book. But more than I thought I would!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this in print and thought it was wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won this one and I love Bauermeister but I haven't found the right time yet to read this one. It's the cancer mention that keeps me away I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm already a fan of Bauermeister's novels and Cassandra Campbell is one of my favorite narrators... sounds like a win-win combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this book, too. Bauermeister is very good at creating characters you can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds like such a fun book to read and almost reminiscent of a book by jude deveraux "the summerhouse"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of doing something you are afraid of. This one sounds inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds as if they are all having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cassandra is a favorie narrator of mine! I enjoyed this book and glad you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a fan of Bauermeister's book, but this book comes after the cooking school books in my order of preference. Whilst her books often feel like individual stories that are connected by an overarching things, the connection wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was such a sweet book! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I borrowed the paperback of this from Anna! I cannot wait to get to it now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't like the first one, so I have not and most likely will not continue with this author. I know, I know. Party-pooper me! :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked this one but definitely felt like there were some characters that had much better story lines. I did really connect with several of the ladies and that alone made it worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read anything by Bauermeister, obviously that's poor choice on my part lol. Sounds like the brilliant narration took it to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed this one of hers too although I read the paper copy. I'd love to listen to it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had this book and then gave it to my neighbor when she started chemo. I need to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've read and loved all three of Erica's books and wound up re-reading The School of Essential Ingredients (on audio) before The Lost Art of Mixing. I think I need to get this on audio for a re-read, as well. Cassandra Campbell is wonderful! I enjoy the separate stories (which seems to be Erica's style), but I wish there were a more cohesive ending with all of the characters. Does this make sense? What challenge do you think Kate would assign to you?

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!