Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Magic Hour (audio version)- Six Sentence Bookish Thoughts #75



What Magic Hour is about:
Having retreated to her western Washington hometown after a scandal left her career in ruins, child psychiatrist Dr. Julia Cates is determined to free the extraordinary little girl she calls Alice from a prison of unimaginable fear and isolation. To reach her, Julia must discover the truth about Alice’s past—although doing so requires help from Julia’s estranged sister, a local police officer. The shocking facts of Alice’s life test the limits of Julia’s faith and strength, even as she struggles to make a home for Alice—and for herself. 


I've really embraced audio books and 2013 looks like it will be a fantastic year of listening to books. I'm so glad that I started with Magic Hour. I found it hard to tear myself away from the car when I would get to my destination because I was so engrossed in the story.  I needed to know who "Girl" was and how she came to be living out in the forest. For the most part I enjoyed the narrator, but I did find myself annoyed every once in a while when I thought she could have put more feeling behind some of her words.

Recommend? Yes, but just know that at times I felt that Suzanne's narration was lacking in energy.

Narrator: Suzanne Toren

Book Buddies who listened to this one:


Six Sentence Bookish Thoughts #75
© 2013, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

24 comments:

  1. This past week I got 4 audio books from the library - 3 of them had narrators I couldn't deal with -- maybe I was just in a bad mood but they irked me...LOL That's why I love the library - no $$ lost when I pick a loser.

    Finally found a decent one.

    (I am curious about this book)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've become a big fan of audiobooks in the past year or so. The story sounds good but I agree that it's disappointing when a narrator leaves you wanting more energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - good narrators are essential!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like audio books too. I like to listen to them when I'm sewing or traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my favorite book by Hannah...or one of them. Although I read it. I am not convinced that audio books are for me, especially now that I'm not commuting anywhere regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm focusing on more audiobooks too this year. I totally understand about the narrator. I felt the same way about the last audiobook I listened to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy you've become an audiobook fan! They really do allow us to fit more books into our lives. I haven't read Kristin Hannah in a long time, but this does sound like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe I've never read Hannah's work? I need to remedy that this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason I just can't embrace audio books as much as reading it myself. Sorry the narrator wasn't better. How are you, anyway? Been missing you and thinking about you. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an interesting book. Narrators can make or break the story, but sounds like she did pretty good if you found it hard to break away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good one for me to listen to on my morning and evening commute to and from the office.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are on fire listening to audiobooks! I have yet to finish one for 2013, but am close on two.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'mgetting to be quite a fan of audio, too. But the narrator can make such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love books that you can't pull yourself away from! I hate the narration was off, but glad the story overall was a win! I am adding this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of these days I will try Kristin Hannah. I am pretty sure I will love her books when I do finally get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds good. I love your review style.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy Hannah's books. I haven't read this one yet so maybe I'll look into getting it in audio. Like you I'm really enjoying audiobooks now. You can knit while listening!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sadly, since Gage needs me to be attentive in the car these days I don't listen to very many audiobooks :( I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I didn't listen to audiobooks, some months (cough-like January-cough) would be barren of completed novels. Since starting my blog (6.5 years ago), I have evolved from 1 audio - 2 books to 2+ audios - 1 book. I used to only listen while walking/exercising, but now it's pretty much any time I can, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not one audio book for me yet ... I miss them. Glad you enjoyed this one even if the narrator didn't quite tick all the boxes, I swear Winter Garden is brilliantly narrated :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a really great read! I feel like I say this a lot but this is ANOTHER author that I've been wanting to try for quite some time. I'm going to go ahead and add this one to the TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never listen to audio books, mainly because I've had too many bad experiences with annoying narrators. I know I really shouldn't let that keep me from listening, but I'm so picky when it comes to narrators and my mind wanders a lot while reading. I have heard that Jeremy Northam narrates audio books, and since I could listen to him read the dictionary, I'll have to check those out, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!