Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Queen's Vow by C.W. Gortner- Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tour Stop

What The Queen's Vow is about:
From the glorious palaces of Segovia to the battlefields of Granada and intrigue-laden gardens of Seville, The Queen’s Vow sweeps us into the tumultuous forging of a nation and the complex, fascinating heart of the woman who overcame all odds to become Isabella of Castile.
 
I know that I've been swept away into a wonderful story when my dreams are filled with the characters from the book that I'm currently reading and this was the case while I read The Queen's Vow. As soon as I would wake up in the morning I grabbed my book and raced through the pages anxious to find out if Isabella would succeed as Queen of Castile. Her story intrigued me and Gortner made her so real to me that it was hard to put the book down until I was finished. While not everything is historically accurate, I felt that the author created a tale that brought to light the tenacity and perserverance of a woman who many underestimated and thought would fail as ruler of Spain. I took away a better understanding of the pressures that she was under and how she did allow her unwavering allegiance to her religion to influence how she dealt with the Jewish population of Castile at the time. I loved how the author encapsulated her life and really took the time to flesh out her story; how she grew up, the hardships she endured, the love she felt for her husband, children, and close friends.
 
Recommend? To all historical fiction fans...YES! I enjoyed this book so much and will be reading Gortner's other two novels for sure. His writing flows easily and he has a gift for creating a story that captures your interest and imagination!
Click on the button above for lists of tour stops
Source: HFV Book Tour and the publisher
About C.W. Gortner
C.W. Gortner is the author of The Last Queen, The Confessions of Catherine de Medici and The Tudor Secret. He holds an MFA in Writing with an emphasis in Renaissance Studies from the New College of California.
In his extensive travels to research his books, he has danced a galliard in a Tudor great hall and experienced life in a Spanish castle. His novels have garnered international praise and been translated into thirteen languages to date. He is also a dedicated advocate for animal rights and environmental issues.
He's currently at work on his fourth novel for Ballantine Books, about the early years of Lucrezia Borgia, as well as the third novel in his Tudor series,The Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles (US) or Elizabeth's Spymaster (UK).
Half-Spanish by birth, C.W. lives in Northern California.
 
Disclaimer:Thank you to Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.
Review Book #20
© 2012, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
 
 

24 comments:

  1. I liked it too, Staci. Now I want to read The Last Queen (about Isabella's daughter Juana).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreaming about the characters? That a good sign! I love the dress on this cover. Dark and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your great review. I'm delighted you enjoyed the book and honored to be here as part of my virtual tour. I hope you readers also enjoy THE QUEEN'S VOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for good historical fiction!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your enthusiasm! But what is up with these royal women and no chests?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a long time since I've had a historical fiction book grab me like what you described. I'm glad it was such a great read for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you enjoyed it. I reviewed this one earlier in the week, I love Christopher's work and I know you'll love The Last Queen and Confessions ... I'd eat the book if you don't lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fantastic. Even the cover is gorgeous! If you dream of the characters, it certainly did make a huge impression on you. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're dreaming about it, then I know it's one for my list!! Great review, Staci.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore Gortner's historical fiction, particularly the books about Spanish rulers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved The Last Queen by this author when I read it so I automatically added this one to my TBR list! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gortner is an amazing storyteller! I read The Last Queen and The Confessions of Catherine de Medici, both of which were so well-written they swept you away to that time in history with unforgettable characters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've kind of steered away from "royalty" historical fiction for a while but sounds like I'm really going to need to reconsider that policy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I know I must get my hands on a copy of this book! Serena raves about this author, and now your glowing review...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This does sound good! Like Lisa, I am not a big fan of royalty historical fiction but I always make exceptions when my friends recommend one. I will be adding this one to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great recommendation! I’m currently reading “Turkoise” by Joan M. Sargent. If you go to her website, http://jmsargent.com/, you can find out more about her and the book. It’s truly captivating, and I highly recommend it! I’ve been looking for another book for when I’m finished with this one and I think I may check out "The Queen's Vow"!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen this one around and everyone seems to love it. I'm not a huge historical fiction fan, but would like to read his take on these powerful women.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I know that I've been swept away into a wonderful story when my dreams are filled with the characters from the book that I'm currently reading and this was the case while I read The Queen's Vow."

    A better endorsement I could not imagine. Consider me sold on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. "I know that I've been swept away into a wonderful story when my dreams are filled with the characters from the book that I'm currently reading and this was the case while I read The Queen's Vow."

    A better endorsement I could not imagine. Consider me sold on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. "I know that I've been swept away into a wonderful story when my dreams are filled with the characters from the book that I'm currently reading and this was the case while I read The Queen's Vow."

    A better endorsement I cannot imagine. Consider me sold on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This one has been getting great reviews everywhere I look. I haven't been reading any historical fiction of late and need too. Maybe this will be the one that gets me reading it again!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!