Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Six Sentence Saturday- Friday Edition (4 mini-reviews)

Welcome to Six Sentence Saturday.
Where I try to express my thoughts on recent reads using only 6 sentences!!!!.
At the end of each review I will post a
rating scale of 1-5 using the cute and original (lol) Playing Cards.
Rating scale will be as follows:

5 of Hearts- You must read this book NOW!!
4 of Hearts- A great read, put it on your TBR list.
3 of Hearts- Happy that I read it...a good read.
 

2 of Hearts- Just O.K but nothing to write home about.
Joker Card - Don't bother (why did I?)



Carrie Goes Off the Map
Author: Phillipa Ashley
Source: Review copy from Sourcebooks
Reason for reading it: I love British chick lit!
~  I love Phillipa Ashley's writing style! It never gets old and she always delivers a fun, cheeky, and sometimes steamy British Chick lit with more depth than realized at first glance. Her characters seem so real to me and oftentimes I have found myself wanting to be friends with them. I love learning British slang and there's so much of it in this one. I would love to try it out at work but I think a few of them would get me sent to the Principal's office!! If you're looking for a getaway book look no further than this one!
My Rating:







The Mercy (Rose Trilogy #3)
Author: Beverly Lewis
Source: Public Library
Reason for reading it: I needed a gentle read, plus had to finish the trilogy!
~ You all know that I love Amish fiction and in my opinion no one does it better than Beverly! This was everything that I wanted in a final book of the series. I loved how all of the pieces came together and it seemed so very authentic. Lewis' books always give me a sense of peace and serenity, but I recognize too that Amish life isn't as simplistic and wonderful as some of us outsiders may think. Lewis has captured the modern day Amish and how the English world continues to intrude on their lifestyle. She does a wonderful job of taking worldly problems and putting that Amish spin on them...excellent series!
My Rating:






Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum #16 (duh?))
Author: Janet Evanovich
Source: Public Library
Reason for reading it: Started the series a long time ago.....
~ A while back I told myself- enough of the Plum books! But then I was at the library, saw it on the shelf and said what the heck...read it! This one put a smile on my face and made me laugh on more than one occasion. I think Grandma and Lula were in rare form in this book. I also enjoyed that Stephanie is loosening up a bit and kissing on both Morelli and Ranger. But she's still a fool in my opinion for even thinking twice about Joe...I'm a Ranger girl all the way! Fun hijinks, fun story, made for an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon!
My Rating: (3.5)







The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Source: Public Library
Reason for reading it: Many bloggers loved it, while many were like "meh"
~ This book started out so very slow for me that I almost ditched it. Then as if one of the magicians from the story put a spell on me, I found myself deeply involved by page 100!! The story grabbed me and captured my imagination and I loved this world that the author created. The characters were interesting and I couldn't get enough of their stories. And then the last couple of chapters happened....and left me pissed off!! I hated how the book ended....I expected this apocalyptic showdown between the two magicians or something spectacular...but, no.  (Don't you hate the way I ended this review? Yep, that's how I felt when I finished this book!)
My Rating:

19 comments:

  1. Am I the only one who hasn't read The NIght Circus? Feels that way - just haven't been moved to read it. *sigh*
    I know I'll get to #16 at some point.
    Love your Six Sentence reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Night Circus on my she;f and want to see what all the hype is about. Thanks for mehhing my expectations :)
    I think I gave up on Stephanie a few books back. I think she should pick Ranger too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised the Night circus was only 3, and now I won't read it. No time! Nice short reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be fun if we ever got together and tried to talk ONLY in British slang! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok... so here is the story... the entire family was in barnes & noble last night cause we all got B&N gift cards from Aunt Mary for Christmas... soooooooo I am SERIOUSLY racking my brain while I am in there trying to REMEMBER ANY TITLE that you liked this year and get that book... can I come up with even one TITLE?!?!?!?! Ummmmmmmmm no!! lol!!! I suck!!! Soooooo I ended up getting "To Kill A Mockingbird" because someone has reprinted all the old classics for sale in pretty new book bindings...and since that is my all time fave novel ever ever ever... it came home with me! Anyhoo... my 2012 resolution... WRITE DOWN what Staci says is good and keep it in my purse... lol!! Happy New Year! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! Have to say that I'm disappointed. I saw Night Circus on so many end-of-year lists that I'd almost decided to buy it....well, maybe not....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm kind of over the Stephanie Plum books, too, but I've heard the new one is better. I'm a little nervous about The Night Circus after all they hype it's gotten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure why I keep avoiding The Night Circus, but your opinion has just reinforced my resolve!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been such a long time since I read a Stephanie Plum book. I saw the other day that they are making a movie based off the series and I'll admit that I'm looking forward to reading it. I should definitely get back to this series in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've become a fan of British Chick Lit this year too. I've got The Night Circus on my stacks and plan on reading it in 2012. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing how many books you are getting through!

    I still need to read a Lewis book, I gave up on the Plum series after reading #14, and I appreciate your comments on The Night Circus. I plan on reading it in the beginning of 2012. I'm still looking forward to it, but have lowered my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy The Night Circus more. I've seen such good reviews about Carrie Goes Off The Map.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Staci - thanks so much for your great review of Carrie. Probably not a good idea to try out the slang at work, as you say!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do wonder about the night circus now, but I will give it a go and we will see what I think later

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved The Night Circus way more than you did. I wasn't thrilled with the ending but I just loved the writing so much that I could overlook the few flaws. Glad to see Beverly Lewis has written another winner. I'm a bit behind in reading her books, but just added 1 to my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought The Night Circus was over-hyped. I liked it a little more than you did mostly for the beautiful writing style and creation of the circus world. But... I found the characters underdeveloped, the time jumps annoying and the ending, as you say, was anti-climactic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome thoughts on the Night Circus. I know originally it was compared to Harry Potter - but no, I don't think so. This is one where I think the movie has an opportunity to be visually fantastic and may outshine the book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LMAO at your thoughts on Night Circus ... I knew there was a reason why I held off getting that one! Carrie Goes Off the Map sounds more my cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Six Sentence Saturday - one of my favorite posts. I almost missed it! I totally agree with you on both Beverly Lewis and Evanovich.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!