Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

'The Violets of March' by Sarah Jio



* If you have time watch the Trailer Video for the book first,then read my review!!


Teaser Synopsis: (click here for longer synopsis)A heartbroken woman stumbled upon a diary and steps into the life of its anonymous author. 


 

"What is it, sweetie?" she said.
  "Well," I whispered, 'today I found a red velvet journal, a diary, in the bedside table in the room where I'm staying. It's really old-dated 1943, I think. I couldn't resist reading the first page, and I was fascinated."
[p.53]

 Reaction after finishing this book:  That last sentence sums up my reading experience perfectly. I couldn't resist reading the first page, and after that I was truly fascinated. When I finished the final page, I sat there for a few moments to just soak in everything that I had read and said out loud, "I loved this book! I thought this author did such an excellent job with weaving the past into the present day and really keeping me on the edge of my seat as to how the story in the diary would end. But most importantly, I felt this urgent NEED to know how the events from 1943 would impact Emily's life. Jio really made Bainbridge Island vivid in my imagination and after finishing the story I know this is one place that is now on my map to visit. The characters seem like friends and I believed in their stories and to me that's what it takes to make a great book!

Recommend? Oh yes...this is one not to be missed. Every family has deep hidden secrets and I would love to find a diary of a past relative. A diary where nothing is left out so that you could really understand and connect with that person. The use of the diary was magnificent and is the catalyst behind Emily's journey to a more satisfying and meaningful life.

Rating: 9/10




The Violets of March by Sarah Jio
Source: review copy from author/Penguin(Plume)
Genre: Literary Fiction
Pages: 296
Published: May, 2011
ISBN: 9780452297036
*Twitter: http://twitter.com/sarahjio
*Web home and personal blog: www.sarahjio.com
*My Glamour.com health & fitness blog, Vitamin G: www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/vitamin-g


Disclaimer:Thank you to Sarah Jio and Penguin (Plume) for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.
 © 2011, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

32 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you like it. I won a copy and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a book I would really enjoy! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy family stories, especially when a journal or diary is involved. Add your recommendation, too, and it's sure to be a book I'd love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow wow wow... this sounds really good... loving the video for it also! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have to start reading this book this weekend! The reviews have me so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your enthusiastic view seems to be universally held among those who have read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! I can't wait to read this one -- it's on my nightstand pile and I'm moving it to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I purchased this book and can't wait to read it. I have a feeling it will be one of my favorite reads this year. I have yet to see a bad review for it. I can tell by your review it is a book I will love! I enjoy books that use a diary or letters to tell a story in the past. I find it fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wasn't this just the best? I loved it a lot!! I was especially captured by the idea that the island would heal you or give you exactly what you needed. A delightful concept. Makes me want to head this right away.

    Can't wait for the next book - THE BUNGELOW isn't it? She said a character makes an appearance and I thought I probably knew who, but she commented on Ti's blog to me that I might be surprised. Now I want to reread this book to try to figure it out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so looking forward to this book. You do have to visit Bainbridge Island, it is wonderful. All of Western Washinton is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too! So glad you enjoyed this as much as me. I swear I could smell the sea reading this book :)
    Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard good things about this book and it just sounds wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting, I just posted a book also set on an island with characters who have a few secrets of their own. Love the tease and the title - we had lots of violets this spring. Many people think they are weeds, but they really give color to the lawn in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read the prologue and was hooked, but I had to wait for my husband to finish his book on the Kindle. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am starting this one today and I can't wait! Glad you loved it, and I agree about Bainbridge Island, having been to another of the islands around Seattle; an idyllic setting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been watching for this review. This is a book I've marked for future reading. I think next year I'm going to pick only one or two challenges and work on cleaning out the books on my kindle. As it is I have over 3 years of reading already loaded onto it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just think the entire book was very well balanced. The mechanics of it were very good and of course losing myself in the setting is always a plus. Especially when it's a beach/island setting and we are heading into summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, you convinced me! I just put myself on hold for a copy at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I could drop everything and read this right now! It sounds marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved it too! Glad this one worked for you so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm pretty nosy, so reading someone's diary appeals to me ;) This one is already on my wish list, but if it hadn't been your review would have convinced me :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for this lovely review of my novel! I am so honored and delighted that you enjoyed it! I'm excited for you to read my next book, THE BUNGALOW, out next spring! Thank you so much for your kind words! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved the trailer. I'd love to find a diary of my mother's making sense of old family secrets. This is already on my wishlist Staci but your review has me longing to pick up a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Between the premise, your review, and the haunting music of the trailer, I was mesmerized.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd love to find a diary of a past relative too. I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been wanting to read this one for some time now. I've read really good reviews...it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This one is on my list already. So glad to hear you couldn't stop reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow--I have got to figure out which pile this book landed in and get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful review Staci! Books with diaries are one of my favorites so this drew me in right away. I just got a copy of this book and I can't wait to read it! It sounds perfect for my summer reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've only heard/read great things about this book, but for some reason I'm just not jumping on the bandwagon. I really don't know why. Maybe it's just because I have a tall stack of "have-to-reads" ahead of me, and my brain is letting me off the hook in adding to the "can't-wait-to-read" department. ???

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a weakness for diary stories. So writing this one down. :)

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  32. Every review I read of this book makes me want to read it more! I am hoping it comes out here soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!