Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

'My Jane Austen Summer: A Season in Mansfield Park' by Cindy Jones- TLC Book Tour




Synopsis from TLC Book Tours:
Lily is a dreamer. In fact, her dreams of Jane Austen have gotten a little out of control. Not only has she just been let go of her job for reading Northanger Abbey when she should be doing work, she's taken to having an imaginary friend give her advice-Jane herself! So when she gets the amazing opportunity to travel to London to re-enact Austen's  Mansfield Park, she leaps at the chance. But though it seems like Lily will be escaping her troubles, the truth is she'll begin facing-and dealing-with them....with a little help from Jane, of course!


My Jane Austen lurked in the fringes, but it would come to nothing. In an effort to explain my bad behavior with Sixby, I'd told My Jane Austen, I don't know how to have a relationship with a man. With my father never home, and my mother unhappy most of her life, my entire knowledge of happy relationships came from books. You raised me, Jane. So forgive me this mistake. I know what I did was wrong.
*[p. 256]


My Thoughts:
From the excerpt above we glean from the story that Lily, the protagonist, loses herself in Jane Austen's stories because her family life leaves her sad. I think many of us have found ourselves getting lost in a book, especially to escape from the everyday average life. I have often wanted to live inside a story and it won't come as a surprise to many who read my blog that I would love to live out Pride and Prejudice just once!! For me, I thought this book was simply delightful. I connected with Lily and could really understand her neediness and that all too consuming desire to be loved by anyone. I was especially blown away by the fact that this is Cindy Jones' debut novel! She crafted a story that flowed and kept my interest. The descriptions were detailed enough to make the scenes come to life inside my head.

Recommend? Absolutely! It does help if you have a bit of prior knowledge of Mansfield Park before reading this one, but I wouldn't say that it is a must. I've watched the movie version and that was enough for me to get the parallels between Fannie and Lily. If you're totally obsessed with all things Austen then this is a MUST read for you!!

Rating: 8.5/10


Published: April 2011
Publisher: William Morrow
Pages:352
Genre: Absolutely satisfying Austenesque story!
ISBN: 9780062003973
 

 

About Cindy Jones

Cindy Jones was born in Ohio and grew up in small midwestern towns, reading for escape. She is a winner of the Writers’ League of Texas Manuscript Contest, and she lives with her family in Dallas.
You can find Cindy at her blog, First Draft, and on Facebook.

 Stop by these blogs to read their thoughts!

Disclaimer:Thank you to TLC Book Tours for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel

© 2011, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission. 

20 comments:

  1. Wowwwwwwww! This sounds really good! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The authors of these take-offs must have so much fun! Great review Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to a protagonist that likes to escape into a book. There are times when I am inside a book that I feel much more alive than during my day to day life. This book sounds like it would be a bit emotional as well as fun. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful, Staci! I'm definitely adding this one to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm under read when it comes to Austen, so I have no knowledge of Mansfield Park. :( You sure are loving the Austen themed books these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to read this book. I love these Jane Austen recreation books (like AUSTENLAND). Thanks for sharing and I'm another who definitely understands about escaping into books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a lover of all things Austen, I'm definitely eager to read this one! Sounds like fun, and Mansfield Park isn't appreciated nearly as much as it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds really good. I've got gift certificates for my birthday and I'm going to put this one on my shopping list now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like such a fun book! I mean, who WOULDN'T want her own private Jane Austen whispering advice to her all the time?!

    Thanks for being on the tour - I'm so glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the looks of this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww JA books :D I want to read this one too

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read Mansfield Park yet, but I did love the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading what you had to say Staci. They do sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - two Austen look-alikes in a row. You must be very book-happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lily is a great protagnoist for us to relate to! And I agree with you, this is a excellent debut novel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one I'd actually like to read! I really love the cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought this was a fun book, too. I'd love to act out Persuasion...with Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth of course. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. A friend of mine and I are planning to start reading the Austin novels. We are going to read them in order so Sense and Sensibility is first up!

    This book sounds inviting but maybe I should wait until I read Mansfield Park....

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book has a very pretty cover! Someday I might just have to read one of this books since you love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mansfield Park is not in my top three of Austen novels, but I will still add this to the tbr. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!