Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, 
that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:



With The Union Quilters, Chiaverini delivers a powerful story of a remarkable group of women coping with changing roles and the extraordinary experiences of the Civil War.

In 1862 Water's Ford, Pennsylvania, abolitionism is prevalent, even passionate, so the local men rally to answer Mr. Lincoln's call to arms. Thus the women of Elm Creek Valley's quilting bee are propelled into the unknown. Constance Wright, married to Abel, a skilled sharpshooter courageous enough to have ventured south to buy his wife's freedom from a Virginia plantation, knows well her husband's certainty that all people, enslaved and free, North and South, need colored men like him to fight for a greater purpose. Sisters-in-law Dorothea Nelson and Charlotte Granger wish safe passage for their learned husbands. Schoolmaster turned farmer Thomas carries Dorothea's Dove in the Window quilt with him. Charlotte's husband, Dr. Jonathan Granger, takes more than a doctor's bag to his post at a field hospital. Alongside the devotion of his wife, pregnant with their second child, Jonathan brings the promise he made to his unrequited love, Gerda Bergstrom: "My first letter will be to you."

Together with the other members of the circle, the women support one another through loneliness and fear, and devise an ingenious business plan to keep Water's Ford functioning. That plan may forever alter the patchwork of town life in ways that transcend even the ultimate sacrifices of war.

12 comments:

  1. I'm a bit embarrassed that I have not read anything by this author and know she has loads of books. enjoy Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwww! This sounds GOOD! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a good one, Staci. I've read some good things on Goodreads about chiaverini. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, the only thing I saw was the name Bergström, cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is very fond of this series. I'll have to tell her about this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep meaning to start this series. I'll have to find out what book one is and start there. I love the cover on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this one on my list for the War Through The Generations challenge but I've never read the series. Think it will matter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would really like to read this book. I really enjoyed the two from the series that I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like an interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now you have me looking forward to this one too. I joined the Civil War challenge this year but haven't chosen any books yet. This would fit it just fine. Thanks for your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read all of Chiaverini's quilter books and am looking forward to reading her latest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always find the most interesting historical fiction novels. I love getting a history lesson while reading.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!