Author: Jack Caldwell- let's hear it for a man writing Austen variations!!!
About (from Sourcebooks)
In the aftermath of the Civil War, the Bennet family has just moved from Ohio to the town of Rosings, Texas, set on creating a fresh start. But their daughter Beth still prefers the familiarity of Ohio to the plains of Texas-that is, until she encounters Will Darcy, the reclusive owner of Pemberley Ranch. Will and Beth are instantly smitten, but pride, prejudice, and a gang of villains determined to take over Rosings threaten to keep them apart. This fresh idea in the world of Jane Austen re-tellings brings together the world of Pride and Prejudice with the struggles of the antebellum South.
1.) Reasons you chose this book
It's no secret...I love Jane Austen and never turn up the opportunity to rediscover her characters in an unique and original story. Plus, I think Sourcebooks pretty much rocks when it comes to Austen re-tellings and they've rarely have steered me wrong.
2.) Reasons you liked or disliked this book
- This was an absolute refreshing and original take on Pride and Prejudice. Who would have thought that I would totally fall for it hook, line, and sinker? Especially because it takes place in the United States and after the Civil War. Not exactly my romanticized England, but let me tell you it WORKS!!!
- I found that I actually liked his pairing of couples more than the original ones from Pride and Prejudice.
- The plot of the story was very well thought out. There was nothing contrite or predictable .
- I was very impressed with Caldwell's steamy romantic scenes...loved them!!!
- The only thing I found that I didn't like was the way Fitzwilliam came across...he sounded a bit dumb and just a tad stereotypical of southern talk.
- It's so original....and fresh! You get to see a different side of some characters and the setting really blew me away. I loved the way Caldwell blended in the Civil War, the grievances of the North and the South, the truly evil bad guys, and of course, the wonderful romance of Will (Darcy) and Beth (Elizabeth).
Thank you to Danielle @ Sourcebooks for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review.
My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.
They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.Source: Danielle @ Sourcebooks, Inc Publicity
Author: Jack Caldwell
Published: December, 2010Publisher: Sourcebooks Pages: 384Genre: Jane Austen Variation/Historical RomanceISBN: 9781402241284 © 2010, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.