About: A new take on Bramstoker's Dracula but told from the POV of Mina.
Descriptive Words: compelling, romantic, sexy, seductive....
Location or characters you met:
- Mina: I liked Mina when I watched the movie "Bramstoker's Dracula" and honestly it was Winona Ryder's face that I envisioned as I read this story. She is a character that I could relate to. She's someone who wants to please others, doesn't want anyone to think ill of her, yet she has this dark side that she's reluctant to admit to or even to talk about with her closest friends.
- The Dark Prince : Call me twisted, but I fell in love with Dracula a bit in this book. He has waited hundreds of years to be with Mina and yet, he doesn't force her to be with him. He wants everything to be her choice and is willing to accept her wishes, even though some of them will break his heart...again.
- Jonathan: I thought he was a namby-pamby...(is that a word?) What a weak man! Some of the things that he allowed to happen to Mina made me want to slap him. And the fact that he had carnal knowledge of more than one woman just meant that they (the temptress) were sent from the devil. Now, if a woman wanted to liberate her sexuality...watch out because they locked them up in the asylum for being nymphomaniacs!
- Dr. Von Helsinger and his gang of men- egomaniacs, control freaks, and men who were afraid of strong women.
- Reading the story from Mina's point-of-view. This was brilliant and I couldn't help but feel sympathy for her and also I was cheering her on to be with Dracula.
- The sex scenes. I will admit to re-reading them more than once! Holy smokes were they scorching!
- I felt immense empathy for Dracula and never really thought of him as a monster. I guess that would probably mean I would let him suck my blood!!!!
- Dark, gothic, and Victorian- what more could you ask for?
- Never a dull moment...this was a page-turner and I couldn't put it down!
- I honestly enjoyed everything about this book. I have nothing bad to say about my reading experience.
My Rating: 4.5/5
Source: Shelf Awareness
Author: Karen Essex
Published: August 10, 2010Publisher: DoubledayPages: 370 (Uncorrected ARC)Genre: Historical Romance FictionISBN: 9780385528917 © 2010, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.