Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Six Sentence Saturday

Welcome to Six Sentence Saturday.
Where I try to express my thoughts on recent reads using only 6 sentences!!!!.
At the end of each review I will post a
rating scale of 1-5 using the cute and original (lol) Playing Cards.
Rating scale will be as follows:

5 of Hearts- You must read this book NOW!!
4 of Hearts- A great read, put it on your TBR list.
3 of Hearts- Happy that I read it...a good read.

2 of Hearts- Just O.K but nothing to write home about.
Joker Card - Don't bother (why did I?)


Broken (Grant County #8, Will Trent #4)- Karin Slaughter
This is my go-to author for a well-written police procedural that is sure to be filled with gory crime scenes and great characters. I stumbled upon Slaughter quite by accident and boy, am I ever glad that I did because Cornwell was disappointing me with every new Scarpetta book she turned out. The action starts right at the beginning and she deftly weaves the clues within the words of the pages, it's just up to you to try to figure out where all of the pieces fit. One of the best things about Slaughter's writing is that her crime is one that could happen and the characters are all very human, nothing comes across as trite....ever! This is a series that has to be read from the very beginning (IMHO) only because you need the past history to understand each characters thought processes and choices. If you're looking for an author who consistently delivers a solid book than look no further than Slaughter. Blindsighted is Book 1 in the Grant County Series...start there!
My Rating:







A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander #6)- Diana Gabaldon
Gabaldon is my favorite historical fiction writer and the Outlander series is one that captured my heart from the very first book. I've been immersed in Jamie and Claire's world for over 16 years and have loved every single minute of it. This book was absolutely fascinating because I felt that I was right there in the middle of all of the pre-Revolution action. Gabaldon has a gift for details and placing you in that particular time period so that is why her books are CHUNKSTERS! I'm deeply involved in the entire Fraser clan's lives and each time something happened to one of them I found myself getting a tad emotional. If you're looking for a series that will span hundred's of years, time travel, romance, suspense, history, characters you fall in love with ( swoon...I love Jamie) then I highly recommend that you run to the bookstore and get Outlander. You will not be sorry and then you can join the legions of crazed women worldwide who want to run their fingers through Jamie Fraser's hair and hear him call you, "Sassenach."
My Rating:

20 comments:

  1. Wow, both of these sound terrific. Before I was totally into reading YA, I loved reading crime novels. I have not read Slaughter, but based on your review, I know I have been missing out.

    Outlander, also sound amazing. Just reading how passionate you are about the series has me wishing to read it.

    Both reviews are awesome especially becasue you got so much across is only six sentence. You are the Queen of brevity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's good. With a name Like Karin Slaughter, it would be disappointing if she didn't write good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe I have never read either of these authors? I know, I am sooooo remiss! With your reco, though, I will have to amend that. Great reviews, Staci. Hope you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read the first Outlander book (loved it!) so I'm always happy to read great reviews of the rest of the books in the series. Yay, 5!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would so love to have him call me Sassenach!

    **goes off into dreamland**

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know I also love Slaughter! I also recommend for anyone who gets into her books to subscribe to her newsletter, which is always full of fun info and contests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I so agree with everything you said about Breath and Outlander! Just listen to the audio and you will get shivers everytime Jamie in the voice of Davina Porter says "Sassenach"! I have completed An Echo in the Bone and feel so lost knowing I will not be visiting with all these beloved characters. Hope you are having a fantastic time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to try Karin Slaughter's work, but I have to admit that I'm intimidated by Diana Gabaldon's. I'm glad you enjoyed both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound WOW Staci! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still on The Fiery Cross. I am in total agreement with you on Jamie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Because I agree with everything you said about Karin Slaughter, I added Outlander to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Slaughter looks like an interesting author - I'm definitely adding her to my must-read authors. I don't read as much crime fiction as I used to and I miss it.

    I also need to catch up with the Gabaldon series! I haven't read the last one, but I think I would need to refresh my memory first by reading the first books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I finished it a couple of years ago, but am getting ready to start over, so I remember all the details before I read the newest book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diana Gabaldon seems to offer it all in her series. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh. I've been eyeing the Gabaldon novel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Outlander series, and I'm one of the 'legions' smitten with Jamie. Still have to read An Echo In The Bone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just put Broken on reserve at the library. Maybe I need to rethink this and start at number one. Hope there are not too many in this series.

    P.S. Country Girl just came. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I'm impressed you made it through the chunkster that is Breath of Snow and Ashes. I still have to read the first one and make my way through the rest. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked the first grant county book, so I will have to read this one too! I saw it at the library today and I wasn't sure, but I guess I should have picked it up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really need to get back to the Slaughter series! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!