Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

'Still Missing' by Chevy Stevens

Author: Chevy Stevens

Genre: Fiction

About: A young real estate agent who is kidnapped by a stranger during an open house and kept hostage for over a year.

Descriptive Words: tense, heart-racing, frightening, realistic, horrifying, gut-wrenching, and believe it or not hopeful

Thoughts: I started this book in the early morning and could not put it down until I finished it. I found myself clenching the book at times because of the certain scenes that I was reading made my emotions go over the top. I thought the author wrote a solid, first-rate story that kept my interest from page one and had me rooting for Annie throughout the story. I really liked the way the story was set up with Annie recounting what she endured as she visits almost daily with her psychologist. It was truly amazing that she survived her kidnapping/rape/torture/emotional/physical abuse ordeal. I liked Annie's honesty and her voice. The kicker for me is that this story came across as something I know that women throughout the world have endured. This is a story that must be read to be fully appreciated, telling you much more in my opinion would be ruining the story for those of you who want to read it. I can honestly say that it's a favorite read for me for this year and I highly recommend it.....BUT I do suggest you read it during the daylight hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Source: Shelf Awareness

Why I Chose: I was immediately captured by the plot and thought this could be a good read.

Recommend? Absolutely! But if you're squeamish about women being abused/raped/tortured/...etc. and have nightmares easily then you may want to pass. I only say this because the manner in which Annie was abducted could happen to any one of us and that makes this book so realistic and oh so scary!

Rating: 5/5


Thank you to Shelf Awareness for sending me a review copy.
I was not compensated for my review.
My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author.
They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.


Review style courtesy of Lynne's Book Reviews

 

Click icon for more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

29 comments:

  1. That's quite arecommendation, Staci! Everything about this sounds right up my alley. Well, as long as I don't have to dwell on the rape part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoky is adorable! And I agree that it's a very scary book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great -- thanks for the review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. I had been debating if it would make the cut for taking on the vacation. Your review convinces me that it should. Since the Kindle, I don't have to take a lot of books. Maybe 2 or 3 in the suitcase. We're flying everywhere so I can't take many. Looking forward to this read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to read a negative review of this book. Obviously I must find the time to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way. My heart was racing with some chapters. I can't wait for this author's next book. Great review!!!
    CMash

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci, great review, I want to read this now, right now. The bookstore was sold out and I am so upset. I totally think this will be on of my favourites of the year from all the reviews.

    I enjoyed your Descriptive words for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I will pass, rape and torture, no, it does give me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I can always count on your recommendations. This one will be on my stack shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't even imagine what these poor women go through. Thanks for the recommendation Staci.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to make sure I don't read this one when Carl is out of town! I love a good page turner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not normally drawn to scary stories but if you say this is one of the best books you've read this year, I don't want to miss it. I will only read it during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to laugh when I read the "BUT". :o)

    I love a good thriller and this sounds like a good one. I don't have nightmares when reading books unless they're true stories. I can, however, get wrapped up in the storyline as I'm reading but it stops there (you know, if it's not true).

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve heard a lot about this debut novel. I love the cover and your review with the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a really brave and intense book.

    On an unrelated note, the kitten in your banner is completely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW....everyone loved this book, but still not sure it is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! I NEED to read this one too! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Argh - stories like this just kill me. But like you I have trouble putting them down!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds very good! gotta love a page turner! Thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one I'm going to remember forever and will be up there on the top of my favorites for the year. You should add "memorable" to your descriptive words :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love books like this. Where the story is sort of simple but the author is able to inject all sorts of tension into it. Sounds like a real page turner.

    BTW...the pic in your header is absolutely adorable! When did you change it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm the type that has nightmares . . . I did like your review.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been wanting to read this for so long--but how am I going to read it? I do half my reading at night in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll be reading this one soon, so I didn't read your review - just noticed the 5/5 rating and thought YES!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent review, I already wanted to read this one and now Im even keener!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It took me about halfway through the book to really care about Annie, but I'm glad I stuck with it because boy, was it intense!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yaaay! I won this on Anna's blog and I can't wait to read it especially with your glowing recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!