Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

'When She Flew' by Jennie Shortridge

Author: Jennie Shortridge
Genre: Fiction

About: An Iraq vet and his daughter live in the wilderness quite content and happy until the police receive a report of a young girl who may be held against her will in the state forest. It's also a story about a cop who feels that following the "rules" will only damage the girl and decides to do the right thing, even though it may cost her everything she's worked for.

Descriptive Words: family, love, doing the right thing, understanding, nature, post traumatic stress disorder

Thoughts: I was captured immediately with the description of Lindy's love for birds and her hope to see a blue heron. I anxiously await each year the blue heron that visits my neighbor's pond. I love birds and owls, so I felt an affinity for Lindy. I was scared for her when the police invade her home and try to separate her from her father.  I'm always amazed at how easily people can judge someone else and this book really made me stop and think about what is a "proper" home for a child. Who makes the decision that your home isn't good enough? I can totally understand filth and dangerous conditions as being reasons for a child being removed from a home. But who decided that living off the land, treating nature with respect, being clean, fed, educated, clothed, and happy constitutes a neglectful living situation? Just from what was presented in the book, I felt that Lindy was a well-rounded kid and that her dad really was trying to do the best he could for her. What is equally intriguing is that this story is loosely based on actual events that took place outside of Portland in 2004. When I was finished,  I found myself asking what makes a home? Who decides which way is right about "education" and how to raise a kid properly? This book is an insightful glimpse into the world of our soldiers that return from Iraq suffering from PTSD. It also shows that human side of police officers who find themselves involved in domestic disputes and don't always agree with the law.

Source: 
Joan Schulhafer Publishing & Media Consulting


Why I Chose: I was taken by the synopsis of the story and wanted to see how the story ended.

Recommend? Absolutely..there's much to discuss with this one, especially knowing that something similar happened in real life. I think many people will find that they identify with Jess, the police officer, and I'm sure many will find themselves rooting for Lindy.

Rating: 4.5/5


Thank you to Joan Schulhafer  for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review.
My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.
They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.



Review style courtesy of Lynne's Book Reviews

24 comments:

  1. This one sounds good Staci. (Like your new review format).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book you could take your bookclun and really discuss

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. Nice review, Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacie..Thanks for the review. This one sounds good. I'll keep it on my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....I tend to agree with you on most of that....but then I remember Warren Jeffs and what he made the children (mostly the girls) do in his compound....so I guess I have to say I am 50/50 on this decision.....the book sounds really good though! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just reading about this story tugged at the deep emotional place inside, and I can imagine how I would feel actually reading it! It almost gave me the chills, because it took me back to my three decades of social work and the attitudes of some of my colleagues...I tended toward the more "unconventional" approach, choosing to honor the choices of individual families when those choices did not present outright danger (or abuse).

    Believe me, I had to tilt at a lot of windmills!

    My own creations are full of such stories...fictionalized, of course.

    I have to read this one, Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really adored this book. I loved Lindy and her father. I could see how they would live off the land and be still functional parts of society, but at the same time, Lindy was alone without other kids her age and schooling. But what part do those things play in creating functional citizens...are they necessary...can't learning be done at home, the library, and through other means.

    There is so much going on in this book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved this book too. It's a shame that bureaucrats aren't always able to be flexible when the situation seems to warrant an exception to the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to read this, especially since it is loosely based on real events. I think the questions you ask are great ones and there seems to be no right answer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been anxious to read this ever since I saw it was based on real life events. You've made me want to drop my current read and pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this book too. I applauded the father for doing the best he could for his daughter without the help of mainstream society. I feel like he did what he had to do considering his circumstances. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a very thought provoking book. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Have a great week, Tootsie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This novel sounds right up my alley! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. ;-)

    http://laughingstars.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely loved this one when I read it, too! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a good one to use at book club

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this one too. It gave me so much food for thought - who are we to determine the place where a family lives, how a child is raised, etc.? And is having love enough? Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your review really grabbed me. I can only imagine what reading the story will do.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like such a good book. You know what surprises me a lot is when they put children back in a home where they shouldn't be and yet will take them from one where they're really ok. It happens much too often.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed this book very much. It definitely makes you think about what a "normal" family is. You can live in the woods in nature and have a more "normal" and healthier life than living in squalor and abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like it gives you a lot to think about. I've heard a lot of good things about this one. Glad to see you really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was one of my favorite books read last year - I loved how Jennie wrote Lindy. I fell in love with this little girl's descriptive words.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shortridge does write wonderful characters. I can't wait to get to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was quite taken with this book too, when I read it. There's definitely a lot of food for thought in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. When you mentioned that it was loosely based on actual events - I was sold. :) I'm adding it to my TBR List now (literally). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!