Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

'A Note From an Old Acquaintance' by Bill Walker


Author: Bill Walker

About: Two people who loved each other but went their separate ways. Each experiences their own heartache. A chance email may change both of their lives.

Descriptive Words: true love, soul mates, writers, artists, big shots, money, greed, cheesy at times

Thoughts: I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the pages of this book. At first I couldn't really make any sense of the Buddha and the rose, but after the first 75 pages that mystery was easily solved. This is the debut work of Walker and I think he did a pretty decent job. I'm not sure that he struck a chord with me as a female reader though. I found myself at times thinking the plot was a bit hokey and the characters very typical of this sort of storyline. I knew exactly how this story was going to end and nothing was a surprise..which I have to admit was a bit of a letdown. The description on the back mentions the word 'suspense' to describe this book....that is wrong. There wasn't anything suspenseful going on, in my humble opinion. In the end, I felt so-so about this one...I don't think it's horrible, but nor do I think it's one you need to run out and read immediately. Even with that said, I would give this author another try as I think he just needs time to find his voice!

Source: Pump Up Your Book Promotion

Why I Chose: Offered the opportunity to read and review for Pump Up Your Book and I always like to read new-to-me authors.

Recommend? I would lend it to a friend without a problem, but I'm not sure that I would urge anyone to buy their own copy.

Rating: 2.5/5


 Other Reviews:
Drey's Library
Chocolate & Crossaints




Thank you to Tracee  for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review.
My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.
They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.




Review style courtesy of Lynne's Book Reviews

15 comments:

  1. Too bad this was not better. I sounds like it might have had the potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arggh. Why do they sometimes feel the need to be deceptive on the cover descriptions?!! Drives me nuts! Or perhaps "pisses me off" would be the more apt description. Anyway, sorry this one wasn't better read for you, Staci.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loveeeeeeeeeeeeee how honest and real your reviews are... this one sounds like a quick and fun read! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually astounded when a first book turns out great. Maybe this guy is still working on his craft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...well since I have plenty of other books to read, I'll pass. I can only take so much hokey anyway. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's too bad this one was so predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Staci:
    I hope you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents but found your review interesting. Maybe its because I am a relatively new blogger, but then on the other hand, have been an avid reader for many, many years, but I loved this book when I reviewed it in Feb. Matter of fact Mr. Walker and 2 other writers are my favorite debut authors of this year. I felt that I was "transported" into the story line and the characters took on a "real life" quality. This is one aspect as to why book blogging/reviewing is great. We get to discuss with each other about the same books we have read. Am a new follower and look forward to your future postings.
    CMash

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least it sounds like the author has potential.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bummer! I just read a review tha made me think I would like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, perhaps not, I could give it a go, but this feels more like a library book for me, it always did

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can say without any problem at all that this wouldn't be the book for me. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were very nice and generous in your review. It's so hard for a first novel to be outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm wondering--is this the same Bill Walker that writes so many books for young people?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's too bad this wasn't one that you cared for. Great review style though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's bummer you didn't like it. I thought the title is very...romantic! A letter that awakens an old flame...

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!