Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Six Sentence Saturday

Welcome to Six Sentence Saturday.
Where I try to express my thoughts on recent reads using only 6 sentences!!!!.
At the end of each review I will post a
rating scale of 1-5 using the cute and original (lol) Playing Cards.
Rating scale will be as follows:

5 of Hearts- You must read this book NOW!!
4 of Hearts- A great read, put it on your TBR list.
3 of Hearts- Glad I read but no big deal

2 of Hearts- Why did I finish this?
Joker Card - Don't bother (why did I?)


The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte by Syrie James
** I loved every single page of this book and felt like I was walking beside Charlotte Bronte. I honestly understand now why I didn't care for Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte was a dark and brooding type. I have yet to read Jane Eyre, but after reading this lovely book I know that I will absolutely enjoy my venture into Charlotte Bronte's first novel. I totally understood why she had a crush on a former teacher and how that shaped the way she felt about love. The book portrays her as a kind soul who never gave up hope that one day she and her sister's work would be published. Reading this book gave me a personal insight into her life and one that has left an indelible mark on me.
My Rating:








Country Living: Country Wisdom
** I enjoyed reading this book about how to get your house organized, declutter, and suggestions on how to fix certain problems that may crop up in your home. I wish that I could have the author come to my house and decorate for me!! I pick these books up for ideas on decor and for short cuts into the kitchen. I did write down some suggestions on how to clean your oven without Easy Off or using the self-cleaning button, but for the life of me I can't find them!! This is a book that I may check out again just to make a list of things that I wanted to try out- ways to show my personality in the objects that I display is one that comes to my mind immediately. If you're in the mood to browse through a "country style" book this one may be one for you.
My Rating:







The House on Tradd Street by Karen White
I'm so glad that I read blogs so that I could be influenced by others to pick up this book. I truly enjoyed the whole premise and the fact that the main character, Melanie, can see ghosts only made this experience more delightful for me. I loved the tension between Melanie and Jack, and can't wait to see where that might lead. The mystery does have a twist that I didn't see coming and that was a nice surprise. Reading about historic Charleston has made me put this city on my list of places that I would love to visit in the future. If you're into mysteries, old historic homes, ghosts, and a bit of romance then I really think you will enjoy this.
My Rating:

25 comments:

  1. A Five of Hearts for a Charlotte Bronte book? Sounds like a Must-Read. I don't recall reading Jane Eyre although I've seen the PBS movie and liked it. Sounds like I need to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci, The House on Tradd Street has been on my tbr list for a while and your review makes me want to move it up the list. Also adding The Secret Diaries of C. Bronte. Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I read WH and JE as a teenager (and liked them), maybe they deserve rereads. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to tell you that The Secret DIaries of Charlotte Bronte was the best book ever! Glad you liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have not read Jane Eyre? OMG! You have got to remedy that! Or at least watch the movie! (one of the gazillions) I think you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that you don't like Wuthering Heights. I love this book, weirdly for precisely the same reason to don't :)
    I have yet to read Jane Eyre but some said to me that if I like du Maurier's Rebecca I will love Jane Eyre (and I do love Rebecca).

    Anyway, I'll have to finally put Karen White's book on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so looking forward to The Girl Who Chased the Moon! Her other 2 books were enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I have The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte in my TBR pile. I think this is the first review I've seen of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anytime you want to practice your oven cleaning techniques, come on down to FL! Mine is in need of a good clean. All these books look good. Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I'm even more anxious to get to the poor tattered copy of Secret Diary that I picked up off the clearance table at Border's last week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I knew I wanted to read the Charlotte Bronte book, but your review has made me move it to the top of my wish list. I didn't care for Wuthering Heights either, but I love Jane Eyre.
    Glad you liked the Tradd Street book. They are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte sounds wonderful! Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen diaries on a number of blogs--as soon as I post I'm going to load it onto my kindle. (I'm sure I'll like it better than Virginia Woolf--although this second book isn't as bad as the first)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh! I want to read the Bronte sisters book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, long time no comment. lol

    The Charlotte Bronte book sounds great. I'm glad it helped you understand why you didn't like Wuthering Heights, which I have on my TBR shelf @ home. The House On Tradd Street has been on my Goodreads list forever. I loved your review and may have to get a copy of this at the library and make it my next book.

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your Six Sentence Saturday reviews. I'm impressed how fast you can read. I am definitely adding The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte to my wish list. I loved Jane Eyre and read it as an adult. I haven't read Wuthering Heights. I think that you will like Jane Eyre! I enjoy looking through decorating books to get ideas also but they usually aren't as simple as I need them to be. Glad to hear you liked House on Tradd Street, that is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte sounds really good! Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books, and this certainly makes me curious about this book. The House on Tradd Street sounds good too, really mysterious. Looks like you had some great reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I have the Secret Diaries book here somewhere. Wonder where? I know I have the Tradd Street book and really, really intend to read it soon. Thanks for the thoughts! Love you little reviews. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte has been on my TBR list forever but after reading your review I really want to pick it up. (Your thoughts in reviews are totally infectious!)

    I also want to read The House on Tradd Street but don't have that one - another for my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Staci... the Country Living book sounds right up my alley. While I rarely use the tips and ideas I read, I love reading magazine articles/books like that. I am glad to see you got some use out of it and I may check it out of the library soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow 5 stars for the Charlotte Bronte novel? Sounds like I need to definitely get my hands on that one. I already wanted to read it, but now I really, really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I sure wouldn't mind reading the Bronte book one of these days. I agree on Tradd Street-good book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just read Jane Eyre for the first time last year. Have to admit I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. :) Hope you will, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Stacy! I just found your blog. I'm so delighted that you enjoyed my novel, "The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte." It was truly a work of my heart... as was my first novel, "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen"

    I hope you and your commenters will stop by my website at www.syriejames.com and leave me a message! My site is full of all kinds of cool stuff about the Brontes.
    All best,
    Syrie James

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Bronte book and the White book on my tbr. I am so glad you liked them. Great concise reviews Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really need to add The Secret Diaries to my to-read list. I keep hearing great things about it, but you've finally convinced me it's one I need to read!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!