Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Six Sentence Saturday-Last of 2009 Books Part 1

Welcome to Six Sentence Saturday.
Where I try to express my thoughts on recent reads using only 6 sentences!!!!.
At the end of each review I will post a
rating scale of 1-5 using the cute and original (lol) Playing Cards.
Rating scale will be as follows:

5 of Hearts- You must read this book NOW!!
4 of Hearts- A great read, put it on your TBR list.
3 of Hearts- Glad I read but no big deal

2 of Hearts- Why did I finish this?
Joker Card - Don't bother (why did I?)



Vintage Magic Mystery Series
A Veiled Deception #1
Larceny and Lace #2
** I picked both of these books up because I loved the covers and thought they sounded like fun. That is exactly what this series is....fun. The mysteries are not that convincing and the main character has a way of not cussing by using words that sound similar to the swear word that has a way of driving me nuts!! But I can get past that and just enjoy them for what they are. Fast, fun, easy-to-read cozy mysteries. After a while the cast of characters grow on you and now I'm finding that I want to see how a certain love-triangle pans out!
My Rating:







44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith
** Now that I know "how" to read McCall Smith it has really made my experience with this author more enjoyable. This book was a fun look into the lives of all of the inhabitants of 44 Scotland Street. There are quirky, weird, and some strange people that live in this apartment building. Smith has the ability to transition almost seamlessly between each character that lives in there. This makes the reading flow quite well and you never find yourself bored with any one person. I am definitely going to read the next installment in this series.
My Rating:








Christmas is Murder: A Rex Graves Mystery by C.S. Challinor
** I love reading Nan's blog- Letters from a Hill Farm because she seems to read the most interesting murder/mystery stories from England. This book finds a cast of characters who are stranded in an inn during Christmas. Within days, several people are dead and none of them by natural causes. I actually thought that I had figured this one out and then there were some added details that made me rethink who the killer was. I enjoyed this one but it would've been a whole lot better if there was a blizzard raging outside while I was reading it. I may try another Rex Graves book in the future.
My Rating:








A Quilter's Holiday (Elm Creek Quilts #15) by Jennifer Chiaverini
** Don't get me wrong....I love the ladies from Elm Creek. They feel like old friends and for the most part I enjoy visiting them. What I don't like is rehashing OLD stories that we're already familiar with.....boring!!!! Sometimes these small holiday books feel very formula to me and end up rubbing me the wrong way! There was one character though that I really enjoyed in this book-Gretchen. I'm a die-hard fan so I'll read the next one but I'm hoping that it isn't another "let's feel good but not talk about anything substantial" book!!
My Rating:

20 comments:

  1. I really need to continue on with the Elm Street ladies this year, but I rarely like the holiday books authors put out for series books. They often seem too light, even for holiday reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your banner, Staci. And, of course, I love your Six Sentence Saturday feature. :-)

    I've been really curious about the Smith book you read. I am glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to add it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new header pic!!! They are soooo cute. Those vintage magic books sound ok to me. Sometimes, you just need a fluffy light mystery but what you don't need is a re-hash of old books. Now that is annoying. Have a great week, Tootsie!
    oh, a p.s. since I disabled anonymous comments, no spam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to enjoy Alexander McCall Smith's Ladies Detective Agency series and then got burnt out on it. I should try 44 Scotland Yard. Bruce and Pistol are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOVE your header photo!! Would also like to try 44 Scotland Street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, what a beautiful header photo. It should have been a holiday card..LOL

    Keep it - it's terrific :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smith is interesting - some of his series I don't like, and some I really like! I wonder if there is secretly more than one of him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've given me several good ideas here. I'd like to try the Rex Graves books (I like Nan's blog too) and the Elm Creek Quilt books. Love those six sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee these reviews....that first set does sound fun...and loving the new header...your fur babies are adorable! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big mystery week, huh? I so need to pick up a cozy mystery more often...I just find them so comforting, but I haven't read any in ages.

    Btw, this: "...and the main character has a way of not cussing by using words that sound similar to the swear word that has a way of driving me nuts!!" just so totally cracked me up!!! I hear you, sister...that totally drives me bonkers, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great reviews. I wondered if the quilter's book would be like you described it. I love reading them too but hate all the reviewing. The Vintage Magic series sounds fun. A quick book is always nice. Bruce and the kitty are very adorable as your header.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to start doing this feature again in 2010... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard about this McCall book. I like books with casts of crazy characters, like Mignight in the Garden of good and evil. Glad you liekd this. I'll have to look it up.

    Are those your kids in your header? They are so cute! They are so cute when they sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE your banner! The dog is so cute!

    Glad to see there were some ok books there. I always look forward to your 6 Sentences Saturday! Hope your New Year is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new banner. I'm still working on mine. According to facebook, a Happy Birthday is in order. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute banner pic of Bruce and pistol, they look like buddies! Love the new look. My plan is to read more cozy mysteries this year, I really enjoy them. I listened to 44 Scotland on audio and enjoyed it.
    I have to catch up with the Elm Creek series also. I don't like the rehashing of old stories either. I am finding that some of the holiday books in series aren't as good as the regular series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so cool to see pictures of Bruce and Pistol. I hear about them so much. Nice to see the faces with the names!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been going back and forth on whether to read the Elm Creek books. Still haven't decided.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Suborn UGG boots, the to begin based on their comparison of main part to distinguish, a particular ok champion looking boots to have on after may not be right for the benefit of you, you may be more exposed the shortcomings, we have to do is to espy that shall exceed the best boots.

    [url=http://www.uggaustraliaoutletz.com/]UGG Australia Boots[/url]
    [url=http://www.hemershandbagsforsales.com/]Hermes Bags[/url]
    [url=http://uwww.uggaustraliaoutletz.com]UGG Australia Boots[/url]
    [url=http://www.moncleruksales.com/]Moncler Jacket[/url]
    [url=http://uggbootsoutletz.com]UGG Outlet Online[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  20. bC7Q8m http://goedkopeonline.jimdo.com qK4F0o [url=http://goedkopeonline.jimdo.com]uggs online[/url] fL9E6y goedkope uggs kW6T7v
    xF7L5u http://canadaoutletboots.webs.com gI6Z4d [url=http://canadaoutletboots.webs.com]uggs canada[/url] kF9G3g uggs canada mX5F9c
    wH6Z0r http://www.bootsgunstig.sitew.de wK1N4x [url=http://www.bootsgunstig.sitew.de]ugg stiefel[/url] kU9J3t ugg boots deutschland cZ9R4j
    mN3I0y http://bootsshopit.blinkweb.com mK5I6i [url=http://bootsshopit.blinkweb.com]stivali ugg[/url] sY8X4d ugg italia uG2W7b
    qO7D5i http://bootspascherfr0.webnode.fr uT5Q7k [url=http://bootspascherfr0.webnode.fr]chaussures ugg[/url] qG9A1c ugg pas cher uH5C1k
    nX1J7o http://botasuggs.1minutesite.es lQ9V3o [url=http://botasuggs.1minutesite.es]botas ugg[/url] vP9N1m uggs kopen bZ5I3r

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!