Pages

Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Fill-In and another book review

fridayfillin.gif

1. Friends __have been my lifeline___.

2. ____Thankful for my good_ health; it's _very important to take care of myself____.

3. I'm ready for _Christmas vacation to start____.

4. ____Warm Vanilla Sugar_ is one of my favorite perfumes or aftershaves or smells.

5. The oldest ornament I have is __15 years old, one that Mitchell did in daycare___.

6. Take _a big bucket of margarita mix and nachos___, mix it all together and you have _a freaking great night____.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to _spending time with Matt____, tomorrow my plans include __going to the library, bank, and getting some Christmas presents purchased___ and Sunday, I want to _put up the tree____!

Book Review
Wow, I can't believe that I've read 103 books this year!! I hope to read over 150 books next year. If I can keep getting great books like the one I just finished then it shouldn't be too hard.



Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran
I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars! *****


I was instantly intrigued by this book when I found that each chapter began with a recipe. As I pored over the recipes I realized that I have been missing out on so much wonderful food out there in the world. I instantly wanted to try every single dish and experience the exotic spices. The story line is driven around 3 sisters who have escaped Iran during the revolution and fled to England. Once there they had to leave because their past caught up to them. (don't want to tell you more because it may spoil it) They finally end up in Ireland. A place that I dream about visiting one day. The author made the small town come alive with her very credible characters. I have not read the book Chocolat yet, but I was instantly reminded of this movie as I read this book. You have your town gossips, your town bully, your fun-loving Irish priest, and of course a love story. People are use to the usual Irish fare: stew, ale and lack-luster taste. Every one goes about their life with no fun, and absolutely nothing to look forward to, that is until the sisters arrive. The smells coming from the cafe start to entice people and once inside they can not resist the wonderful dishes and just sitting down for a cup of hot tea. This is the kind of place that I want to find. A place that I never knew existed until I turn a corner and from there the smell of the food draws me in. I absolutely loved this story. I've been told that the follow-up is a little disappointing but I am willing to take my chances.


Up next in my big pile of TBR is Wild Boy: My Life in Duran Duran by Andy Taylor

Can't wait to read all the dirt. I was a die-hard Duranie in my teen years and I am more than willing to admit that I still listen to their CD's and if John Taylor walked into the room right now I would throw myself at him!! but in a nice and controlled way.....uh, not really!!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVEEEEEEEEEE the fill in the blanks!!!! My oldest ornament is one my MOM made back in the late 70's....she used to do ceramics and made an entire set of ceramic ornaments!!!! And now, I have them!!!!

    And 103 BOOKS!!! HOLY WOW girl!!!! That's AWESOME!!!! And soooooooooooooooooooooooooo can't wait to see your "dirt" review on the Duran Duran book! :):):):):):):):):)

    LOVE ya GIRL! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not believe you don't have your tree up yet. Are you sure we are related? I don't know if I can be associated with you anymore.

    hhmmpp {{{turns head and sticks nose in the air}}}

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!