What Gone Girl is about:
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick Dunne’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick Dunne isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but hearing from Amy through flashbacks in her diary reveal the perky perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge.
After I finished this book, I wondered how in the world I could adequately review it and not spoil one darn thing for any of my friends. I like to be quirky and different sometimes in my reviews so below is a little peek of what was going through my mind as I was reading one of the stellar reads of the year for me!!!
- Are you kidding me? He (Nick) is such a jerk...egotistical freak!!
- Amy's parents are so twisted and yet, she seems so normal. I like her.
- It's what time??? 12:30 a.m. ...okay, I have to turn my Kindle off and go to bed. But no one better want anything done tomorrow. Seriously, I have to get back to Nick and Amy!!
- Would the dogs quit looking at me? You can't possibly have to go potty! I just took you out at 6:00 am....looking at clock- 11:30 am. Well, I guess you guys can pee again, but be quick about it because I have a book to read!!
- Mom, what's for dinner???????? Who in the hell just asked me that question? They will suffer! How dare anyone request that I move from my seat outside. The last time I checked everyone had fingers and opposable thumbs. Open up the bread and make a pb&j for goodness sake!!
- Honey??? Can you come here for a minute and help me? WHY????? Can't you lift the 200 pound plow by yourself??? Why in the HELL did you decide to do that right now. Can't you see that I'm reading!! I'm reading!!!!
- Oh, Gillian you tricky little writer you. I love how you mess with my mind! Damn, you are good!
I loved this book! Absolutely, loved it! I was lucky and stumbled upon Gillian's first book a few years ago and thought it was amazing. She has another winner on her hands with Gone Girl. I fell for every trap she set up and wasn't sure who to believe or trust....and that's what I love about her stories!! I was immersed into the story and by the free flow of consciousness above, you can see that I didn't want to be bothered by anything.....nothing!! I raced through the story and then when I read the very last paragraph I screamed!!!!!!! But in what context? Well, read the book and get back to me!
P.S. Dear Gillian- get your smart little tushy back to the computer and write me another story!!! Or else... insert evil smiley face here!!
Source: TLC Book Tour and publisher
Genre: Freakin' awesomeness Suspense and Creep Factor Fiction
Published: June 5, 2012
About Gillian Flynn
GILLIAN FLYNN is the author of the New York Times bestseller Dark Places, which was a New Yorker Reviewers’ Favorite, Weekend TODAY Top Summer Read, Publishers Weekly Best Book of 2009, and Chicago Tribune Favorite Fiction choice; and the Dagger Award winner Sharp Objects, which was an Edgar nominee for Best First novel, a BookSense pick, and a Barnes & Noble Discover selection. Her work has been published in twenty-eight countries. She lives in Chicago with her husband and son.
Disclaimer:Thank you to TLC Book Tours for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.