Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

'Kiss at Your Own Risk' by Stephanie Rowe

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Author: Stephanie Rowe
About (from the author's website)

HE NEEDED A KILLER WOMAN.
Blaine Underhill was one lucky man. Having recently escaped a century and a half of imprisonment at the hands of an evil witch, he's determined to save his still-enslaved friend. But in order to do so, he'll need the help of one of the world's most lethal women.

SHE WAS DROP DEAD GORGEOUS, LITERALLY.
Trinity Harpswell is sick and tired of being a Black Widow. Having managed to go three years without accidentally killing anyone she loves, she's one short week away from freeing herself from this killer curse forever. When Blaine tracks her down and convinces her to help him, little does Trinity know that the next seven days are going to be murder!








1.) Reasons you chose this book

When I read the premise I thought it would be a fun way to get myself back into the Paranormal genre once again. Plus I like hot, sweaty Warrior type men....

2.) Reasons you liked or disliked this book

  • I actually did enjoy the characters and that tongue-in-cheek writing style that this author has. I found myself laughing from time to time and getting into the action side of the story.
  • However, I also thought the plot was confusing at times and I often wondered what the heck was going on. This is something that I noticed happens to me often when I'm reading paranormal genres. I have a hard time getting into the whole 'other world' atmosphere and often find myself lost.
  • I did enjoy the romance that was in the book for the most part, but some of the ways that the author used sexual slang got old after a while.

3.) Reasons for recommending

  • If you're a fan of the paranormal romance genre then I'm sure you would really enjoy this book. I do know a few readers that would probably love this one, but for me it just didn't get me excited about reading paranormal books at all. I found a few words that the author used repeatedly to be a bit over-the-top and actually distracted me from the enjoyment of reading. Um.....for example: "he fisted her hair" OMG!!! fisted and hair just don't go together..and it conjured images that I quickly had to try to get rid of. Then there was the repeated use of "jerked his hand off " I am positive that there are other verbs that could replace "fisted" and "jerked."  So for me, because obviously my mind is in the gutter, when these words kept popping up (I couldn't stop myself...sorry) continuously I became all ADD and found my brain wandering away from me!!!  My advice to the author would be to tone down the sexual connotations and dial-up the humor and I would totally read the next one in the series!
Rating: 3/5

Author: Stephanie Rowe
Published: January 4, 2010
Publisher:  Sourcebooks
Pages: 389
Genre: Paranormal Romance
ISBN: 9781402241956
Disclaimer:Thank you to Danielle @ Sourcebooks for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel
  © 2010, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

17 comments:

  1. I love that line: should she kiss him or kill him? I feel that way about my husband all the time! (ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, my mind followed yours to the gutter I'm afraid! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting review . . . I don't think I've ever read a book like this one. I liked that line too--shoud she kiss him or kill him. What a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go back and forth about Paranormal. Some I end up liking others, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in the gutter with you I am afraid! You are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, sounds like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this review (and your choice of men) ;) I tend to enjoy paranormal romance too but I hate confusing plots! The cover is so vivid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, fist and hair, why..

    Anyway, gonna read this one too, will see how it goes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your review made me laugh :) It also made me think I don't need to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your review made me laugh :) It also made me think I don't need to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice review, Staci! I also requested this for review from Sourcebooks and can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  12. bummer... this sounded like it would have been good! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I do enjoy paranormal romances, mine tend to be much more PG-13 than R rated. I did chuckle at your review though. I also like the summary of this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Staci I loved your review and you know I have to read this one! I am all about paranormal and my mind is already in the gutter! Loved the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh you have me cracking up over the repeated use of silly ass wording :) Good job Staci, on the review I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not sure this is a book for me but oooh-la-la on that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad that I'm not the only one that was left with mixed feelings. Sometimes when I hate a book and it seems like everyone else loved it I feel like what did I miss?? Although I didn't hate this one, I just didn't love it either.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!