Genre: History, Non-Fiction
About: This is truly everything you ever wanted to know about Heyer's Regency world and beyond!
Descriptive Words: factual, fun, lists, great illustrations
Thoughts: I wanted to read this one because I've read a few of Heyer's Regency romance novels and thought it would be fun to try to understand the customs, rules, clothes, food, and the monarchy from that time period. This book does not disappoint at all. There are so many aspects from the Regency era that it can be a little mind-boggling at the beginning. I recommend that you read this book in chunks, because there is so much information that your head may explode....SERIOUSLY! I can tell you one thing...I would never be allowed into the upper crust because I wouldn't be able to remember all of the rules of etiquette!! My favorite chapters were:
- The Gentle Sex- everything a young lady needs to know and oh, so much more!
- Up and Down the Social Ladder- this was great information as to how the class system was dictated.
- On the Town-how to get in with the very best Patronesses so that you will marry well! Oh, and after you're married and have produced an heir, you may have as many affairs as you want as long as you don't flaunt them! O' la la!!
- Eat, Drink, and Be Merry- no wonder the rich were fat!!They ate all of the time!
- Who's Who in the Royal Family- I really enjoyed this one. I don't know the monarchy and this was a much needed chapter!!
- If you're a fan of information the appendix is awesome!!!
Source: Danielle of Sourcebooks, Inc.
Recommend? I would, especially to fans of Heyer, Austen, and the Regency time period. This has everything you would ever need to know and while I was reading it, I found myself filling in some questions that I had while reading their books.
I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author. They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.
Available August 2010
Publisher: Sourcebooks, Inc.
About the author: Jennifer Kloester is Georgette Heyer's official biographer, and had access to private papers and other confidential information, discovering a wealth of new material on the immensely private author.
Review style courtesy of Lynne's Book Reviews