Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen - Six Sentence Bookish Thoughts #71




What The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen is about:
The minute I saw the letter, I knew it was hers. There was no mistaking it: the salutation, the tiny, precise handwriting, the date, the content itself, all confirmed its ancient status and authorship… 
Samantha McDonough cannot believe her eyes--or her luck. Tucked in an uncut page of a two-hundred-year old poetry book is a letter she believes was written by Jane Austen, mentioning with regret a manuscript that "went missing at Greenbriar in Devonshire." Could there really be an undiscovered Jane Austen novel waiting to be found? Could anyone resist the temptation to go looking for it?

My very first thought after finishing this book was that I was so sad that it had to come to an end. Syrie James transported me back in time with her lovely book, The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte, and I have to say that she did it again with this story. I adored the Stanhopes and was absolutely captivated by Rebecca. I absolutely loved the way James set the plot  and how she introduces this lost manuscript of Jane's into the current time. The story never lags and at times I honestly thought I was reading Austen's words. I'm going to run upstairs right now and grab The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen off my shelf....I must read it soon!!!

Recommend? Absolutely! Each book that I've read of Syrie James has been wonderful and I swear she must somehow be related to both Austen and Bronte!!

Source: Berkley Trade via NetGalley



Six Sentence Bookish Thoughts #71
© 2012, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

14 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy this author; I should try reading on of her books. (do you know how ofter I say this?) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another criterion for a good book: one that makes you sad when it ends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good!! Adding to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful, Staci. I'm adding it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is certainly making the rounds this month! Everyone seems to be enjoying it. I absolutely adored The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen and it is a favorite of mine, so I hope you enjoy it as well when you read it. (I think it is one of her best.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just marvelous when you hate for a book to end. This sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. another one I plan on reading this year. She did send me a pre-release copy of her vampire book when I reviewed her Bronte book. I should probably get to that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked this one a lot too. The Charlotte Bronte one is my fave by far, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have only read a novella by her so I would love to get more :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen and loved it. So may reviews are saying great things about this one too. Now I must find time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to read this one! I keep forgetting it is on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any of these but if anyone can entice me ... you can!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have those other Syrie James books, and I really must make time for them, too. Glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!