Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Still Life- Bookish Thoughts #12


What Still Life is about:
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter. 


Why I wanted to read this one: I have been reading Margot's blog, Joyfully Retired,  for a few years now and have loved so many of her reviews. So when Still Life made it on her 2010 Best Books list, I just knew that this was one that I had to read. 
*sidenote- I created a challenge for myself to read at least one book this year from some of my favorite blogger's list of best reads. This was my pick from Margot's books.


Source: Purchased for my Kindle 
  • I was instantly smitten with Armand Gamache. I now understand why Margot gushed over this character (hush though...her husband can't find out about her mad crush!).  He was such the epitome of a master detective, that I couldn't resist his charms. I loved the way that he payed attention to everyone and every little detail. He takes his time and really studies the people involved in the case. 
  • I love the setting! I thought this quaint little town that the author described was a piece of heaven tucked away in the back woods of Montreal. I could easily envision the picturesque village  and the people who lived there.
  • The murder! It was so very clever and I honestly was looking at someone else to be the guilty party. So when I finally found out who did the crime I was kicking myself for not seeing it earlier. 
I loved every minute that I spent in Three Pines and of course, it goes without saying that I loved spending time with Inspector Gamache. He's a smart investigator and I instantly trusted him. I will continue reading this series.....the writing is exceptional, the story intriguing, and the characters were vibrant!


Thanks, Margot for a wonderful read!!!!



Bookish Thoughts #12
© 2012, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission. 

18 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed this series. I've read 3 or 4 so far and need to go back and read the earlier ones. Glad you enjoyed this one --loved the setting and characters, and the fact that some of the characters appear again in other installments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a good murder mystery where you just can't figure it out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried one of them but didn't really fall in love so I never went back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not into mysteries but Louise Penny is a name I've heard many times before... yes from Margot, but also others! LOL! I like small, quaint towns too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good and I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I want to read this series! Love the setting described...and depicted on the cover.

    Thanks for hooking me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm wondering if you picked any books from my list of favorites...lol Though I think we've read all the same darcy books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I'm wondering what book you picked from my favorites list, though we've probably read all the same Darcy books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to try Penny's work - everyone seems to love it. Isn't Margot's blog great - I want to be just like her when I retire!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard a lot about this author but never read her before... Really need to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margot has reviewed a lot of great books--I challenged myself to read her top 5 picks from her "award winners" posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am one of the very few who just don't like these books. And I feel badly only because the author seems like such a nice person. Do you read her blog?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a book that I've been meaning to read for some time now! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much (and I'm moving it up on my TBR list. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one series where you really need to read in order. I am in love with Armand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you loved it!! And of all the books I've read, I'm glad you picked this one. Of course, the Inspector is the best but I have also loved the other characters as well. You remind me that I need to get on to reading the next one in the series. Thanks for all the kind words. Bless you Staci.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one of my favourite series currently. I enjoy them very much, especially Armand and his wife, and his second in command Beauvoir, plus the recurring characters from Three Pines. I think the setting - a very cosy village hidden away - juxtaposed with the crimes, is quite engaging and brings home that crime - passions of the heart are wherever people are. I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once I catch up on a few series I can start a few more. This is one I plan to try. Margot's gushing convinced me too :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!