Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Review: Almost Perfect- Brian Katcher


Title: Almost Perfect
Author: Brian Katcher
Pages: 360
Genre: YA GLBT
Source: Library
Who Recommended Book to Me: This book was featured on Michelle's Bookshelf. Click here for her phenomenal review.

Logan Witherspoon recently discovered that his girlfriend of three years cheated on him. But things start to look up when a new student breezes through the halls of his small-town high school. Sage Hendricks befriends Logan at a time when he no longer trusts or believes in people. Sage has been homeschooled for a number of years and her parents have forbidden her to date anyone, but she won’t tell Logan why. One day, Logan acts on his growing feelings for Sage. Moments later, he wishes he never had. Sage finally discloses her big secret: she’s actually a boy. Enraged, frightened, and feeling betrayed, Logan lashes out at Sage and disowns her. But once Logan comes to terms with what happened, he reaches out to Sage in an attempt to understand her situation. But Logan has no idea how rocky the road back to friendship will be.



My Thoughts:

This book wounded my very soul. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, trying not to break down and sob. Someone please explain to me why some people have to deal with so much hatred directed towards them just because of who they "are" as a human. Why do they have to worry that if their truth is told they may die because of it? I've always told my two boys that it never mattered to me whether they were gay, ( I never thought to include transgender) because I would love them no matter what. Now I realize, I truly realize, that a mother's love is NOT enough to help a person make it in this world. My eyes are open even wider as I come to grips with what anguish, self-hatred, disgust, depression, rejection, a person who is transgendered has to deal with in their daily lives. How every day they have to hide who they are. Can you even begin to imagine the loneliness this person experiences? This is an IMPORTANT book...a must read for any young person who is transgendered, for any person that loves a transgendered person. In my opinion, this is one of the best GLBT books that I have ever read...EVER!

Highly Recommended!
out of 5

24 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite an endorsement, Staci. You had me nearly in tears as I read your thoughts on this one. I haven't read this book, but just from what you've written, I can see it is an important one. I wish with all my heart people would be more accepting. Thank you for your great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reviewing this book, it definetly seems like one that I would love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((((hugs))))

    a good book always evokes strong emotion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the book made quite an impression on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are not many books I know of about transgender topics. Glad there is a good one out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of this book but your thoughts expressed so beautifully and emotionally why I should pick it up. Truly heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While this is the kind of book that needs to be available to be read in our schools, sadly, it probably never will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wowwwwwwwwwwwwww....this sounds very powerful .... and u are right...mama's love isn't always enough (sadly....)...awesome review staci! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, what did you really think of it? Great review, Staci. This looks fantastic and very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your review makes me want to read this book right now. As much progress as our society has made, we still have so far to go, and sometimes I wonder if we'll ever get where we can just accept people for who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a very hard thing to realize that a mother's love is NOT enough sometimes to stem the anguish. Wonderful review Staci. I could feel your pain come through. Isn't it incredible that an author has the ability to move a reader to this point?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree sooooooo very much with this entire review! I love books like this that open people's eyes. It's a very important book that I think people should read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this book sounds intense! Even your review is intense! It does indeed sound very important and like a must read. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great review! I must admit I've read too few GLBT books, and you've really intrigued me with this one.

    I really wish we could all learn to respect and love one another.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review. You really reached me with this one. It does sound like a must-read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently met a transgendered individual. I cannot grasp how hard life is for her. I'll definately add this book to my tbr list. I bet it will deepen my understanding of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review of this one Staci. I can tell it really affected you. I think this is one I wouldn't mind reading. Did you ever see the movie and I can't remember the name of it but Hillary Swank was in it and it was about a transgendered teen and it was a heartbreaking movie based on truth. I can't imagine how lonely they must feel or scared that people will find out about them. I think it's a sad the way people hate others without ever giving the chance to know them. That's not my way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful post, Staci. Adding this to my list. I'll also never understand why so many people react to difference with such hatred.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review Staci! I have never read a book on this subject before, but I want to read this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like such a powerful book, for teens and adults alike. I'm putting it on my list for the GLBT challenge. Thanks for the review!

    I have a friend whose daughter/son is going through this right now, so I'll pass on the recommendation to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can honestly say that I have never heard of this book before, but with such a passionate review, I simply must check it out!

    I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog today. When I came here I instantly felt at home ---- we have the same background wallpaper :)

    I look forward to following you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your review was so powerful and heartfelt Staci! I haven't read any GLBT fiction and realize it is an area that I should read more. Having a tween, I already see how hard it is for kids to be accepted just as the are. It's sad that kids can be so judgemental and cruel at a young age. We as parents have to teach our kids compassion and acceptance but we can't protect our kids from the cruelty of the world. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've read one GLBT book and found it to be quite an eye-opener. Thanks for your review. It is very powerful and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved this book. This is the first book I've ever read that dealt with this in such a realistic manner. You say that a mother's love isn't enough, and maybe that's right, maybe it's not enough. But it's a big start. It's a huge thing. I'm transgendered, and my parents have been supportive, though they don't understand, and it has made all the difference in the world to me. Yes, I still have hard times, and I can see in their eyes that they really wish it didn't have to be this way, but they are there and supportive, unlike Sage's parents in this book. now if I could just find someone as understanding as Logan tries to be...

    ReplyDelete

Hello Friends!! I want to take this moment to say thank you. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and thank you for leaving me a comment.

* Because of the excessive spam I have decided not to allow anonymous users to comment.

Happy Reading!